Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 3rd, 2015 06:00

XPS 13 (2015) brightness issues

Has anyone else experienced going from a darker webpage to a lighter one, like google that the brightness takes about 5 seconds to readjust?

Never seen this on any other laptop or monitor, kind of annoying and wondering if I should return this laptop.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2015 18:00

It was on initially, I disabled it and it didn't affect anything.

42 Posts

February 5th, 2015 23:00

Secure boot doesn't help. Everything your suggesting, a Dell tech tried when I gave Dell remote access to my XPS 13.

My XPS 13 has the same issue and the tech couldn't figure it out. He concluded it was a hardware feature at the end, but I don't think he was sure.

It's either a software issue or it's a hardware "feature" in these new Sharp IGZO displays.

511 Posts

February 7th, 2015 07:00

Disable secure boot, and then try this. I found this on an Intel forum (for an Inspiron 14z), try this:

When it's up and running, go to your desktop, right click on the battery icon and select "Power Options."

On the left side of the Power Options window, click on "Dell Extended Battery Life Options."

In the "Status" tab of the battery meter window, you should now see the "Remind me when Dell Intelligent Display or Dell Extended Battery Life is On". Click the settings button next to that, and uncheck enable Intel Display Power Saving Technology.

28 Posts

February 7th, 2015 07:00

I only show:

Balanced

Power Saver

High performance

28 Posts

February 7th, 2015 08:00

I did.  There is no Dell Extended Battery Life options on that menu on mine.

511 Posts

For some reason Dell removed the battery button on the keyboard too. I am looking for a way to get you the battery meter application. Since for some reason Dell is not including it on the systems anymore. Do you have QuickSet installed? Try installing QuickSet from here: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

After doing some hunting I tracked that application to be a part of QuickSet.

511 Posts

You must right click the icon. It will bring up a menu that looks like this. 

4 Posts

February 7th, 2015 13:00

DELL. If you are reading this, then  please please get this issue fixed. Everyone on the forums and even your own subreddit is complaining about the adaptive brightness issue. We want to have control over our own screen brightness, just like every other laptop on earth lets us do. A lot of people are returning their laptops over this brightness problem, and I really hope you give us a proper update on whats going on.

511 Posts

February 8th, 2015 14:00

Has anyone restored back to the factory settings? I know it sounds weird since it just came from the factory, but with not much on it now is the best time to try.

7 Posts

February 8th, 2015 16:00

I tried to install QuickSet and got a message saying "This is not a supported system."

http://i.imgur.com/GZpmu0B.png

511 Posts

February 8th, 2015 16:00

Hmm... Hopefully a BIOS update will come and fix it. I will let you know if I hear anything else.

511 Posts

February 9th, 2015 14:00

I have been told a system restore might fix the issue. I would try a restore, even if it came from the factory with the issue. I have been told it has worked on at least one machine.

28 Posts

February 9th, 2015 16:00

How would a system restore fix it right from the factory?  If there are no restore points.

I have actually completely formatted my system and reinstalled Windows 8.1 and all the drivers from Dell's website and it's still doesn't work correctly.

511 Posts

February 9th, 2015 19:00

Good to know; I am disappointed that did not solve it however.

May 2nd, 2015 01:00

any updates?

No Events found!