Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 (2015) i7 CPU Speed (again)

I currently have a i7 XPS 13 (2015) and I am noticing an odd issue where if I put the computer into sleep mode, then unplug it and then resume sleep, my processor is limited to 0.48 GHz.  

When I plug it back in, it resumes being able to go up to 2.9 GHz. 

I have the power profile set to high performance and if I just unplug the laptop while on it will not limit itself to 0.48 GHz.  This only happens after resume from sleep.  Rebooting the laptop fixes the issue.

I have already tried the Config TDP Level fix as suggested and I thought it had solved my problem, but it turns out I'm still seeing the same behavior.  Any ideas?

-David

28 Replies
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

RE: XPS 13 (2015) i7 CPU Speed (again)

Did you set both plugged in and on battery to 2.9GHz?

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted

are u sure the speed is limited, or is it just slowing itself down for a while?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yeah, it is definitely capped at 0.48.  It says the maximum speed is 2.39 GHz, but it will not go about 0.48 Ghz or above 20% utilization.

I have both plugged in and unplugged set to 15.0W @ 2.4 GHz.

If I plug it in and then immediately unplug it, things work as expected and it will go to 100% utilization.  It's only when the computer comes out of sleep mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After a bit more testing, the processor limiting appears to happen only when the computer is put into sleep mode when plugged in.  If I sleep the computer while on battery and the resume, it does not exhibit this behavior.  

It's 100% repeatable on my machine, at the very least.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I believe I have fully figured out the problem.  I am connecting the computer through the Dell Power Companion PW7015M.   The computer sees the PW7015M as a 35W adapter (I got the warning message after flashing BIOS A01).  

If I do not use the Dell Power Companion, everything works great and the processor performs as expected at all times.

With the Dell Power Companion connected, if I sleep the computer when it is plugged in, and then resume it on battery, the computer will limit itself to 0.48 GHz, and 20% utilization.  This can be remedied by plugging the computer back in.

I can reproduce this behavior 100% of the time and I'm wondering if others with the Dell Power Companion are seeing the same issue.  At the moment, I would consider this a minor annoyance since now I fully understand what is causing the issue, but in general, it seems like this should not be happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

this a box u can get to in advanced power options. ur solution may be in there. might have to experiment a little. but u cannot hurt anything by experimenting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Yes look at maximum power state as well. Dell probably tweaked a ton of setting to squeeze out their battery numbers.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

same problem with i5 version ,cpu caps on 0.77 in performance mod ,0.57 in power saving mode and some times even a restart will not solve it .the new xps is not reliable ,i'm learning programing and i need a reliable laptop ,i'm really disapointed on new xps 13 ,macbooks  are much better in reliability .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

XPS 13 is very reliable, there are just a few settings that need to be corrected. All of these issues can be fixed, either by BIOS or by the user. It's a matter of us trying to resolve the issue first, and if we can't on our end then Dell will look into it on their end to try and fix it.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have tried setting the minimum processor state when on battery in the advanced settings to 100% ,but it didn't solve the problem.

Just to be 100% clear, this problem ONLY occurs for me with the Dell Power Companion.  I initially thought this was a much more severe problem.

I would suspect this is a BIOS issue, or it's possible I have a bad Power Companion. (I might ask for a replacement power companion).

In any event, this is the only issue I have encountered with this machine and it's kind of an obscure one since it involves the Power Companion.  I wonder if other people using external batteries (not necessarily the Dell one) that run at a reduced wattage will see the same issue.

The easy fix is to just unplug the machine before I close the lid if I'm on the road.  Hopefully there will be a better fix in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

So I had the same exact issue. To resolve it I unplug everything and then put the laptop to sleep (close lid) and then open it in about 5-10 seconds - CPU jumps back to normal. I checked all of the settings and for me it happens in both High Performance and Balanced. I haven't really used Power Saver yet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Interesting problem!

Have you tried all the USB sockets?

Are you using the USB cables supplied by Dell? There are two classes of USB cables with respect to power delivery; the difference is 26 vs. 28 guage wire. You need the higher capacity. With my Asus t100 tablet, the “normal“ 28 guage cables WILL NOT charge the tablet, not delivering the needed wattage. A laptop will need more than the tablet. Even if using the Dell cables, I would get a high capacity cable. With. not  enough power supplied, portables cannot run the unit and charge the battery at the same time, or will not allow maximum CPU speed.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

This has nothing to do with USB cables.  Perhaps you're responding to the wrong thread.

My XPS 13 gets stuck at 0.77-0.79 GHz when I boot it up by opening the lid, or with the power button on the right. However, I made this strange discovery that will work in the proper CPU range of 2.5+ GHz when I put the machine to sleep, then awaken it by clicking on the touchpad instead. It's bizarre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have been able to reproduce the exact same problem with the Dell Power Companion. I am running Linux so thought the problem might be related to something in my Linux config, but after narrowing it down to the Dell Power Companion (and not the wall charger), I think that the problem is exactly the same as you described. Definitely some kind of either BIOS or hardware problem.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Same problem here. Latitude E5540 running Windows 7 and Dell Power Companion. It seems to me that if Dell made this power supply and it doesn't work with their own machines, there is something seriously wrong. Did they even test it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

100% exact same problem, with same i7 and power companion.  Nothing in powercfg will address this issue.  Same exact .48 ghz.  Annoying as all heck, would appreciate Dell fix this.

Once the CPU is stuck at .48, nothing short of a restart  cycle will fix this.

Anyone from Dell reading these?  

Highlighted
2 Bronze

ditto   100% exact same problem, with same i7 and power companion.  Nothing in powercfg will address this issue.  Same exact .48 ghz.  Annoying as all heck, would appreciate Dell fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Brandon,

I found this myself after some time. But my maximum processor state was set to 5% in plugged and unplugged mode. Changing it to 100% made all the problems disappear.

I really don't know how anybody (@Dell) could think this makes sense.

Anyway, now it works fine.

And thanks for all the other suggestions as well!

Best wishes,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Good work. This setting should not be available easily, as clicking the wrong choice can lead to problems. Almost nobody will ever use the settings. Setting the max at 100% and minimum at 5% is good, and allows the CPU to power down when demands are low. If you are doing low demand portable work, you can extend battery life by setting min and max to 5%.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thanks, for posting your trouble here. Did you find a final solution after all? I have the same issue with Power Companion. CPU is also limited to 0.48, but I didn't realise it was only after sleep mode. Really annoying problem actually

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Well it's a workaround, but it kills battery life. It is a bug on Dells side and it should be fixed with a bios update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just to throw my hat in to the ring here. I am having the same issue with my XP3 13 9343 i5. The last week or so I have noticed that intermittently it would drop the CPU down to 0.46 - 0.48GHz and stay there until I reboot (or sometimes something else will trigger it to go back to normal, maybe coming back from sleep? I havent fully tested yet).

This happens to coincide with when I bought the Dell Power Companion. I cant say for certain, but it seems to happen when I use the Power Companion.

Anyone found a fix for this yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi,

In my case the minimum and maximum CPU power consumption was set to 5%. You have to go to the advanced power settings, processor power management, minimum/maximum processor state. You might have different power plans for when you have your machine plugged in and when not. So you would have to change both of those..

Hope that helps and does the trick.

Best wishes,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I've already checked this. Min was 5% and max was 100%.

Interestingly, even setting it to my 'max power' power scheme where min and max are both 100% it didn't resolve the issue. It seems to be a bug which cant be fixed by messing with the power schemes. A reboot fixed the problem though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Another vote to blame the Power Companion. I plug my XPS-13 in at home through a power companion; don't have one at work. Only solution I had found was to shut down -- the problem persists across a restart. However, thanks to a previous post, I just tried sleeping with nothing plugged in (except a USB Human Interface Device... a Yubikey) and that seems to have fixed it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue, but it does not seem to be related to power companion. It happens for me when running on internal battery as well. About half the time when the machine wakes from sleep, the CPU is locked at .48GHz. Putting the machine back to sleep and waking again usually resolves it until the next time it sleeps. Anyone else found a fix or workaround other than the power companion thing? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Does not work. Same problem here. My Dell laptop is a Inspiron 13 2 in 1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Setting the power profile to high performance is working for me. Thanks...

0 Kudos