Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 9th, 2015 14:00

XPS 13 (2015) i7 CPU Speed (again)

I currently have a i7 XPS 13 (2015) and I am noticing an odd issue where if I put the computer into sleep mode, then unplug it and then resume sleep, my processor is limited to 0.48 GHz.  

When I plug it back in, it resumes being able to go up to 2.9 GHz. 

I have the power profile set to high performance and if I just unplug the laptop while on it will not limit itself to 0.48 GHz.  This only happens after resume from sleep.  Rebooting the laptop fixes the issue.

I have already tried the Config TDP Level fix as suggested and I thought it had solved my problem, but it turns out I'm still seeing the same behavior.  Any ideas?

-David

9 Posts

October 8th, 2015 17:00

100% exact same problem, with same i7 and power companion.  Nothing in powercfg will address this issue.  Same exact .48 ghz.  Annoying as all heck, would appreciate Dell fix this.

Once the CPU is stuck at .48, nothing short of a restart  cycle will fix this.

Anyone from Dell reading these?  

9 Posts

October 29th, 2015 19:00

ditto   100% exact same problem, with same i7 and power companion.  Nothing in powercfg will address this issue.  Same exact .48 ghz.  Annoying as all heck, would appreciate Dell fix this.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2015 12:00

Brandon,

I found this myself after some time. But my maximum processor state was set to 5% in plugged and unplugged mode. Changing it to 100% made all the problems disappear.

I really don't know how anybody (@Dell) could think this makes sense.

Anyway, now it works fine.

And thanks for all the other suggestions as well!

Best wishes,

Andreas

5.2K Posts

November 16th, 2015 15:00

Good work. This setting should not be available easily, as clicking the wrong choice can lead to problems. Almost nobody will ever use the settings. Setting the max at 100% and minimum at 5% is good, and allows the CPU to power down when demands are low. If you are doing low demand portable work, you can extend battery life by setting min and max to 5%.

1 Message

December 9th, 2015 11:00

Thanks, for posting your trouble here. Did you find a final solution after all? I have the same issue with Power Companion. CPU is also limited to 0.48, but I didn't realise it was only after sleep mode. Really annoying problem actually

1 Message

January 3rd, 2016 05:00

Well it's a workaround, but it kills battery life. It is a bug on Dells side and it should be fixed with a bios update.

2 Posts

February 21st, 2016 22:00

Just to throw my hat in to the ring here. I am having the same issue with my XP3 13 9343 i5. The last week or so I have noticed that intermittently it would drop the CPU down to 0.46 - 0.48GHz and stay there until I reboot (or sometimes something else will trigger it to go back to normal, maybe coming back from sleep? I havent fully tested yet).

This happens to coincide with when I bought the Dell Power Companion. I cant say for certain, but it seems to happen when I use the Power Companion.

Anyone found a fix for this yet?

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi,

In my case the minimum and maximum CPU power consumption was set to 5%. You have to go to the advanced power settings, processor power management, minimum/maximum processor state. You might have different power plans for when you have your machine plugged in and when not. So you would have to change both of those..

Hope that helps and does the trick.

Best wishes,

Andreas

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 14:00

I've already checked this. Min was 5% and max was 100%.

Interestingly, even setting it to my 'max power' power scheme where min and max are both 100% it didn't resolve the issue. It seems to be a bug which cant be fixed by messing with the power schemes. A reboot fixed the problem though.

February 26th, 2016 05:00

Another vote to blame the Power Companion. I plug my XPS-13 in at home through a power companion; don't have one at work. Only solution I had found was to shut down -- the problem persists across a restart. However, thanks to a previous post, I just tried sleeping with nothing plugged in (except a USB Human Interface Device... a Yubikey) and that seems to have fixed it.

March 25th, 2016 12:00

I'm having the same issue, but it does not seem to be related to power companion. It happens for me when running on internal battery as well. About half the time when the machine wakes from sleep, the CPU is locked at .48GHz. Putting the machine back to sleep and waking again usually resolves it until the next time it sleeps. Anyone else found a fix or workaround other than the power companion thing? 

2 Posts

June 15th, 2016 12:00

Does not work. Same problem here. My Dell laptop is a Inspiron 13 2 in 1

1 Message

June 30th, 2016 12:00

Setting the power profile to high performance is working for me. Thanks...

No Events found!