Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 (2015) i7 CPU Speed (again)

I currently have a i7 XPS 13 (2015) and I am noticing an odd issue where if I put the computer into sleep mode, then unplug it and then resume sleep, my processor is limited to 0.48 GHz.  

When I plug it back in, it resumes being able to go up to 2.9 GHz. 

I have the power profile set to high performance and if I just unplug the laptop while on it will not limit itself to 0.48 GHz.  This only happens after resume from sleep.  Rebooting the laptop fixes the issue.

I have already tried the Config TDP Level fix as suggested and I thought it had solved my problem, but it turns out I'm still seeing the same behavior.  Any ideas?

-David

28 Replies
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

RE: XPS 13 (2015) i7 CPU Speed (again)

Did you set both plugged in and on battery to 2.9GHz?

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted

are u sure the speed is limited, or is it just slowing itself down for a while?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yeah, it is definitely capped at 0.48.  It says the maximum speed is 2.39 GHz, but it will not go about 0.48 Ghz or above 20% utilization.

I have both plugged in and unplugged set to 15.0W @ 2.4 GHz.

If I plug it in and then immediately unplug it, things work as expected and it will go to 100% utilization.  It's only when the computer comes out of sleep mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After a bit more testing, the processor limiting appears to happen only when the computer is put into sleep mode when plugged in.  If I sleep the computer while on battery and the resume, it does not exhibit this behavior.  

It's 100% repeatable on my machine, at the very least.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I believe I have fully figured out the problem.  I am connecting the computer through the Dell Power Companion PW7015M.   The computer sees the PW7015M as a 35W adapter (I got the warning message after flashing BIOS A01).  

If I do not use the Dell Power Companion, everything works great and the processor performs as expected at all times.

With the Dell Power Companion connected, if I sleep the computer when it is plugged in, and then resume it on battery, the computer will limit itself to 0.48 GHz, and 20% utilization.  This can be remedied by plugging the computer back in.

I can reproduce this behavior 100% of the time and I'm wondering if others with the Dell Power Companion are seeing the same issue.  At the moment, I would consider this a minor annoyance since now I fully understand what is causing the issue, but in general, it seems like this should not be happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

this a box u can get to in advanced power options. ur solution may be in there. might have to experiment a little. but u cannot hurt anything by experimenting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Yes look at maximum power state as well. Dell probably tweaked a ton of setting to squeeze out their battery numbers.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

same problem with i5 version ,cpu caps on 0.77 in performance mod ,0.57 in power saving mode and some times even a restart will not solve it .the new xps is not reliable ,i'm learning programing and i need a reliable laptop ,i'm really disapointed on new xps 13 ,macbooks  are much better in reliability .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

XPS 13 is very reliable, there are just a few settings that need to be corrected. All of these issues can be fixed, either by BIOS or by the user. It's a matter of us trying to resolve the issue first, and if we can't on our end then Dell will look into it on their end to try and fix it.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

0 Kudos