Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: XPS 13 (2015) i7 CPU Speed (again)

I have tried setting the minimum processor state when on battery in the advanced settings to 100% ,but it didn't solve the problem.

Just to be 100% clear, this problem ONLY occurs for me with the Dell Power Companion.  I initially thought this was a much more severe problem.

I would suspect this is a BIOS issue, or it's possible I have a bad Power Companion. (I might ask for a replacement power companion).

In any event, this is the only issue I have encountered with this machine and it's kind of an obscure one since it involves the Power Companion.  I wonder if other people using external batteries (not necessarily the Dell one) that run at a reduced wattage will see the same issue.

The easy fix is to just unplug the machine before I close the lid if I'm on the road.  Hopefully there will be a better fix in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

So I had the same exact issue. To resolve it I unplug everything and then put the laptop to sleep (close lid) and then open it in about 5-10 seconds - CPU jumps back to normal. I checked all of the settings and for me it happens in both High Performance and Balanced. I haven't really used Power Saver yet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Interesting problem!

Have you tried all the USB sockets?

Are you using the USB cables supplied by Dell? There are two classes of USB cables with respect to power delivery; the difference is 26 vs. 28 guage wire. You need the higher capacity. With my Asus t100 tablet, the “normal“ 28 guage cables WILL NOT charge the tablet, not delivering the needed wattage. A laptop will need more than the tablet. Even if using the Dell cables, I would get a high capacity cable. With. not  enough power supplied, portables cannot run the unit and charge the battery at the same time, or will not allow maximum CPU speed.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

This has nothing to do with USB cables.  Perhaps you're responding to the wrong thread.

My XPS 13 gets stuck at 0.77-0.79 GHz when I boot it up by opening the lid, or with the power button on the right. However, I made this strange discovery that will work in the proper CPU range of 2.5+ GHz when I put the machine to sleep, then awaken it by clicking on the touchpad instead. It's bizarre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have been able to reproduce the exact same problem with the Dell Power Companion. I am running Linux so thought the problem might be related to something in my Linux config, but after narrowing it down to the Dell Power Companion (and not the wall charger), I think that the problem is exactly the same as you described. Definitely some kind of either BIOS or hardware problem.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Same problem here. Latitude E5540 running Windows 7 and Dell Power Companion. It seems to me that if Dell made this power supply and it doesn't work with their own machines, there is something seriously wrong. Did they even test it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

100% exact same problem, with same i7 and power companion.  Nothing in powercfg will address this issue.  Same exact .48 ghz.  Annoying as all heck, would appreciate Dell fix this.

Once the CPU is stuck at .48, nothing short of a restart  cycle will fix this.

Anyone from Dell reading these?  

Highlighted
2 Bronze

ditto   100% exact same problem, with same i7 and power companion.  Nothing in powercfg will address this issue.  Same exact .48 ghz.  Annoying as all heck, would appreciate Dell fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Brandon,

I found this myself after some time. But my maximum processor state was set to 5% in plugged and unplugged mode. Changing it to 100% made all the problems disappear.

I really don't know how anybody (@Dell) could think this makes sense.

Anyway, now it works fine.

And thanks for all the other suggestions as well!

Best wishes,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Good work. This setting should not be available easily, as clicking the wrong choice can lead to problems. Almost nobody will ever use the settings. Setting the max at 100% and minimum at 5% is good, and allows the CPU to power down when demands are low. If you are doing low demand portable work, you can extend battery life by setting min and max to 5%.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos