Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2015 07:00

XPS 13 9333 - Windows 10: Sudden, random and irrecoverably stops audio output

Subject says it. The sound driver for Windows 10, XPS 13 9333 has been buggy since the beginning! I had to reboot several times per week to "reenable sound". Errors are both complete crashes of the sound driver (the speaker symbol turns red and Windows 10 offers to try to fix the problem - well, of course that doesn't do anything...), but now also this:

At random intervals sound just stops. The volume can still be controlled, I can't see an error in the Windows event log (but I'm not sure I looked everywhere), device manager for Realtek High Definition Audio shows the driver as working. I hear a brief 1/10th second loud white noise as sound stops and that's it. I have to reboot.

32 Posts

December 16th, 2015 05:00

Nothing? Nothing at all?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 16th, 2015 06:00

Nothing?

Hello. I haven't seen any solution from other owners that would fix your audio issues. All I can offer is the generic solution of switching from the Realtek audio driver to the Windows native audio driver. If the same symptoms persist with the native driver then that would rule out the fault as being a buggy Realtek driver, and would leave Win10 or hardware as the main areas of likely cause.

1 Message

December 16th, 2015 06:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 bought 10 days ago. Updated to Windows 10 from clean 8.1, and I have same problem.

All Dell's service applications doesn't work. Very nice.

32 Posts

December 26th, 2015 11:00

UPDATE: Not even the Del driver helps any more, audio is COMPLETELY GONE! No driver (re)install or reboot changes anything, the speaker symbol remains marked with a red cross - "no audio device installed".

32 Posts

To add: The device manager shows no audio device either. None at all.

32 Posts

Also see answers.microsoft.com/.../554dac34-f0f5-4d74-b9ab-3122e659be0e

Found the device manager entry, it was "hidden". It says "reconnect the hardware audio device" - good joke. According to the error message in the device manager I don't have that device connected. ***? I was listening to audio until an hour ago... did some gnome steal the audio chip from the board of my XPS 13, or did the chip melt? Or is Windows 10 nuts?

32 Posts

All of a sudden even a reboot won't get the audio back on. There are "no audio devices", says Windows 10. When it tries to "fix" the issue it says "scanning for hardware changes", asks "Apply this fix?" to which I says yes (it does not say what it does - I believe nothing). Nothing changes though, after another reboot there still is no device.

it stopped in the middle of playing a video and now even the devices are gone??? I removed the Realtek driver from the system (deinstalled the packge). So the advice

> All I can offer is the generic solution of switching from the Realtek audio driver to the Windows native audio driver.

is something I cannot do, because... HOW? I'll try reinstalling the Dell audio driver for Windows 10. AGAIN, because I had done that previously. Do I have to reboot a few times per day and reinstall that driver every month now?

32 Posts

December 26th, 2015 12:00

UPDATE - Solved:

I reinstalled the CHIPSET DRIVER too and after the following reboot sound is back.

Thanks to a tip in this forum here that said "driver installation order may be important".

32 Posts

January 8th, 2016 03:00

Update: But being able to fix the issue through re-installation of the drivers does not change the problem that this happens again and again and again....!!!

32 Posts

July 13th, 2017 03:00

UPDATE

Right now I see a completely new way for the problem to show itself (after the latest big Microsoft patchset): Instead of the sound being completely disabled only microphone and speaker are unavailable "not plugged in" and audio plays on "SP/DIF digital port". (does the XPS 13 9333 actually have one???? physically I mean?)

No Events found!