Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2015 08:00

XPS 13 9343 Battery Optimization

I have contact Dell tech support on a couple of occasions to inquire about the best way to optimize the battery for a longer life. As is true to forum in the Dell Tech Support world I got several different answers.

I use my XPS all  day. What I want to know is how is the best way to use a laptop and not reduce the life cycle of the battery.

1. Can I operate on AC power all day?
  2. Should I charge the battery every day and then use it on battery power, till the power level is low and then re-charge and go back to battery

The AC adapter will not be plugged in 24/7, only during work hours.

Can anyone provide incite on what are the best practices for getting the best from the battery (in terms of lifespan).

I would prefer to use AC all day as this way I can increase my screen brightness.  

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

5.2K Posts

October 13th, 2015 12:00

YES, you can run it plugged in all the time. This WILL NOT damage the battery, contrary to what many say. The battery will recharge only when it needs to. If it's plugged in all the time, you have the maximum portable use time all the time.

DO NOT charge it and then use it on battery each day. This will shorten battery life. You only get so many recharges over the battery's life.

DO NOT deeply discharge the battery. Try not to go below 30-40% charge level. Deep discharges are damaging. Electric cars do not allow charge to go below 35% or so to maximize  life. These batteries are warrantied for 100,000 miles

I leave mine plugged in all the time I am not running portable, except when we are gone for more than 1-2 months, and get 4 years or so of useful life from $25 third party batteries. These batteries usually give me more useful life than the expensive factory batteries. 

You should use BattStat to monitor battery condition and charging profile.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 13th, 2015 10:00

I am sorry to read that you have been receiving different advice on the care of batteries. Dell does have a FAQ that discusses batteries and battery care here.

What can I do to make my battery last longer?

A

There are several things you can do to make your battery last longer:

• Choose the right battery. Under the same use conditions, a lower capacity battery will wear out faster than a higher capacity battery because it has to be charged more often.
    • Use the notebook's power saving controls to reduce battery use in your normal day. For example, turn the Bluetooth off if it is not needed; reduce the screen brightness when conditions permit.
    • Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures. If the system is exposed to extreme cold or hot temperatures, allow it to warm up/cool down before use and before charging.
    • Contrary to last decades' batteries, modern lithium ion batteries do not need to be fully discharged to maintain health.
    • All batteries wear with use and time. When you find the runtime is no longer satisfactory, it may be time to purchase a new Dell battery.

Q

Can a Dell laptop battery be "overcharged"?

A

No, the battery is designed to stop using the charger when it reaches full charge.

Q

I generally do not unplug/undock my notebook. Does this hurt the battery?

A

No, the battery has built in controls which stop the charging process when the battery is full.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

TB

7 Posts

February 5th, 2016 04:00

Me thinks that the whole concept of having a portable ultra book is to have lots of battery life as claimed by the manufacturer.

Keeping it plugged in all day is ok if you are in the office, but then why not use a desktop or any other older model?

I need longer battery life as my work requires lots of travelling and inconvenience in keeping it plugged in and that's why one buys into the advertisement of 13 hrs plus on an ultrabook laptop.

I think batteries need to be recycled periodically for them to have a discharge and charge and not keeping them plugged in all day. why not just remove the battery concept and have your laptop plugged in all day???

No Events found!