Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 15:00

XPS 13 (9343) - Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 - Error 0xC1900101 0x30018

I have a brand new XPS 13, 9343 model with i7 processor and 512GB SSD. I am still within the 14 day cooling off period, and I'm now seriously considering returning it. I have never experienced such a load of nonsense trying to install any other piece of software.

So far, and after many attempts, I've been totally unable to upgrade to Windows 10. The very first thing I did was install all available Windows updates for 8.1 (there were 79 of them), and immediately after that I began the Win10 install saga. Nothing else has been done to the laptop - no dodgy software or USB devices (other than the boot USB where necessary). It is in a clean state.

- After downloading through Windows Update, the installation procedure is INCREDIBLY slow (eg it takes 36 HOURS to reach 42% completion - and at this point it hits the error message). What on earth can it be doing??

- I also tried creating a bootable USB through the media creation tool. If I boot from this USB drive and perform a "clean" install, this works perfectly - it takes about 8 minutes in total (which emphasises how ridiculous the 36 hours is). However, because it is a clean install and not an "upgrade", I end up with a non-activated version of Windows 10 and I get prompted to pay £99.99, which I have no intention of doing. I paid for the laptop on the understanding it would get a FREE upgrade to Win10!

- I have also tried using the USB (but not booting from it) to perform the in-place upgrade - this hits the same error as Windows Update does (and takes just as long)

- I have tried uninstalling all antivirus software and disabling all wireless/bluetooth devices before attempting the upgrade - none of this helps. Given that it takes me 36 HOURS per attempt, it's really not acceptable to try disabling random things in the vain hope it might work correctly.

When attempting the upgrade (i.e. not clean installation), I hit an error message "Windows Setup cannot configure Windows on your hardware" or similar. When resuming after the failure, the setup tool gives the error code 0xC1900101 0x30018, and says it failed in operation "FIRST_BOOT", phase SYSPREP. Just getting to this error message costs me 36 hours of waiting (welcome to the future!), so it would really help if someone could give a definite answer on what causes it...

Please help! Auuughhh

• 

351 Posts

September 11th, 2015 06:00

Hi Everyone,

If you are experiencing the issue whereby your XPS 13 is not upgrading to Windows 10 and is getting stuck or taking several hours, PM me with your Service Tag.

Thanks

4 Posts

November 5th, 2015 09:00

Hi, 

Mine has now been sorted. The issue is with the SK Hynix SSD firmware. I tried to upgrade mine but could not, so Dell UK tech support did a remote session with my computer, sorted the firmware and installed my Windows 10, all working properly now.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 4th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thank you writing to us !

This this case we would request you to do a clean installation and then  contact Microsoft for manual activation Key .

Thanks

Robin 

4 Posts

September 4th, 2015 10:00

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure this is possible? What I've read on the topic indicates that a clean installation cannot be activated for free.

If it is possible, can you tell me anything about how to actually do it, as I can't find anything about it online? Any web links illustrating how to do it?

Thanks very much.

Nik

September 4th, 2015 17:00

I've had the same experience - took delivery today of new XPS 13 - i7, 512 GB SSD. Two attempts at Windows 10 upgrade both failed. Looking through various forums, there appears to be an issue with these machines and Windows 10. I don't think this is really acceptable - this is the top of the range product at the most expensive price point. I can live with Windows 8.1, but the marketing is quite clear that it should be upgradeable to 10. Don't expect to buy Dell again or recommend to colleagues...

2 Posts

September 5th, 2015 05:00

I have had exactly the same experience and have been trying unsuccessfully to get the upgrade to work for 4 days now. It does clearly state on the website that this model is compatible with the Win 10 upgrade but from the numerous posts on this forum that is clearly not the case.

I have emailed tech support but I am not holding out for a coherent response.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2015 20:00

I am running into the same problem with the exact model. I'm doing a clean wipe of the computer and was considering returning it.  I have done everything mentioned above except for using The Microsoft manual activation code. Has anyone tried this yet?

4 Posts

September 9th, 2015 02:00

I tried contacting Microsoft through their tech support web chat, but they insisted I couldn't get an activation key because I'd done a clean install rather than the "upgrade". I explained that their installer was worthless and the upgrade doesn't work, but that didn't cut it...

I think manual activation is only possible if you purchased a retail licence for your previous copy of windows - when you get a preinstalled laptop, the licence is OEM and therefore can't be used.

Robin, if you have any further detail on how to get a key, please reply to this thread. It's pretty clear this particular hardware configuration is not compatible with the upgrade, which means the way it's being advertised is misleading...

6 Posts

September 10th, 2015 09:00

I do have exactly the same problem with my brand new XPS 13 with an erroor message 0xC1900101-0x2000C - the installation failed in the phase Safa_OS with an error during the operator APPLY_IMAGE. Likewise the Windows intallation took me more almost 48 hours with an end message that installation failed.

Yes, pls help! this is just unacceptable!

3 Posts

September 11th, 2015 12:00

My service tag is<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

. Computer configure is 8 RAM/512 SSD, i7 processor, XPS 13.  I hope Dell has a solution here soon.

1 Message

September 13th, 2015 08:00

Disregard

6 Posts

September 14th, 2015 03:00

My service tag is : - Dell XPS 13 9343

3 Posts

September 14th, 2015 04:00

Dear Colin,

Have a new XPS 13 9343 (last week Support tag .

Can't update to windows 10, get error 0xC1900101 - 0x2000C
Failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE

Tried 6 times to update.

Dell Netherlands could not do anything.

My email theo@heraldic.nl

Regards,

Theo

6 Posts

September 14th, 2015 06:00

Dear Colin,

Further to my post this morning...

I do have exactly the same error message than Beersum/Theo.

Dell Belgium (where I bought the computer), Dell South Africa (where I am working) and Microsoft USA (through remote access to my computer) could not do anything either.

Best

Jean-Bernard

1 Message

September 16th, 2015 08:00

I also have the same model of dell:  XPS 13 9343 ssd 512 MB. My frustrations have been well defined by the earlier posts. any solution on the way soon?

No Events found!