Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 15:00

XPS 13 (9343) - Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 - Error 0xC1900101 0x30018

I have a brand new XPS 13, 9343 model with i7 processor and 512GB SSD. I am still within the 14 day cooling off period, and I'm now seriously considering returning it. I have never experienced such a load of nonsense trying to install any other piece of software.

So far, and after many attempts, I've been totally unable to upgrade to Windows 10. The very first thing I did was install all available Windows updates for 8.1 (there were 79 of them), and immediately after that I began the Win10 install saga. Nothing else has been done to the laptop - no dodgy software or USB devices (other than the boot USB where necessary). It is in a clean state.

- After downloading through Windows Update, the installation procedure is INCREDIBLY slow (eg it takes 36 HOURS to reach 42% completion - and at this point it hits the error message). What on earth can it be doing??

- I also tried creating a bootable USB through the media creation tool. If I boot from this USB drive and perform a "clean" install, this works perfectly - it takes about 8 minutes in total (which emphasises how ridiculous the 36 hours is). However, because it is a clean install and not an "upgrade", I end up with a non-activated version of Windows 10 and I get prompted to pay £99.99, which I have no intention of doing. I paid for the laptop on the understanding it would get a FREE upgrade to Win10!

- I have also tried using the USB (but not booting from it) to perform the in-place upgrade - this hits the same error as Windows Update does (and takes just as long)

- I have tried uninstalling all antivirus software and disabling all wireless/bluetooth devices before attempting the upgrade - none of this helps. Given that it takes me 36 HOURS per attempt, it's really not acceptable to try disabling random things in the vain hope it might work correctly.

When attempting the upgrade (i.e. not clean installation), I hit an error message "Windows Setup cannot configure Windows on your hardware" or similar. When resuming after the failure, the setup tool gives the error code 0xC1900101 0x30018, and says it failed in operation "FIRST_BOOT", phase SYSPREP. Just getting to this error message costs me 36 hours of waiting (welcome to the future!), so it would really help if someone could give a definite answer on what causes it...

Please help! Auuughhh

• 

351 Posts

September 16th, 2015 09:00

I also have the same model of dell:  XPS 13 9343 ssd 512 MB. My frustrations have been well defined by the earlier posts. any solution on the way soon?

Hi,

Private Message (PM) me with your Service Tag and I'll help you get this resolved 

• 

351 Posts

My service tag is : - Dell XPS 13 9343

Hi,

If you're still having the issue, please PM me and I'll help you get it resolved

• 

351 Posts

Dear Colin,

Have a new XPS 13 9343 (last week Support tag .

Can't update to windows 10, get error 0xC1900101 - 0x2000C
Failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE

Tried 6 times to update.

Dell Netherlands could not do anything.

My email theo@heraldic.nl

Regards,

Theo

Hey,

if you're still having issues upgrading, Private Message (PM) me and let me know and I'll help you out

September 16th, 2015 14:00

Hi guys!

I want you to redirect to:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19645539

Where a big number of users had the same issue.

Also, I linked inside to other 4 threads where some other users have also the same problem.

I'm going to tell you the options to escape from this ***.....

At the thread we tried different approaches and concluded that:

- Microsoft way: Doing a clean install of windows 10 it works, but you need a valid key. If you request it to Microsoft by telling this problem they'll tell you but with conditions... I mean, mainly users from US get the key at the moment, but other local attention teams worldwide will told you that they won't tell you any key as you haven't done the upgrade proccess.

Well, I has to stay 5 hours of remote assitence at the phone in order to get convinced level 1 assistance to elevate the problem to level 2 where the support will give me the key. In the 5 hours, the assistance did everything and exactly the same things you said, i.e. upgrade from usb... etc...

Today, 15 after!!!!!! level 2 have call me to tell me the key.... (without words... 15 days after!)

Luckily, I said this problem to microsoft help in twitter and they scalate the problem quickly and 48 hours after level 2 from US assistance contacted to me to give me a valid key.

- Dell way: It's probed that it's a problem with SK Hynix ssd disks, but seems software problem cause a hardware test don't find anything, and a clean install works ok. So seems a problem related drivers of hynix not updated on microsoft... or the way they burned data when created the laptop....

On this way, dell is offering to change the ssd into another one from another manufacturer, and this works, so again, problem is with hynix ssd.

We had some troubles at the begining cause also level 1 assistance from Dell at my country didn't trust me, and told me to the same things from microsoft, i.e. upgrade from win8.1 etc.... (it was a ***....)

But finally, Colin Hu, read us, and he is moving really well this topic cause he have understood the problem and offering real and quickly solutions worldwide, you can trust him.

To sum up:

1. call EEUU microsoft support. other teams worlwide won't trust you and will cost more time. and they'll give you a valid key

2. send by private message to Colin Hu your service tag number and he will offer you change the disk

Good luck!

• 

351 Posts

September 18th, 2015 03:00

Please explain how to PM you (I'm not putting my details in an open forum)

Click on my username, on the righthand side click "Send a Private Message". Type your message and click "Send"

Colin

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 03:00

Please explain how to PM you (I'm not putting my details in an open forum)

3 Posts

September 18th, 2015 04:00

Dear Colin,

Yes, I still have trouble updating.

Can you please reply email me on my email I added in my post above.

I don't know how to pm you.

Regards,

Theo

6 Posts

September 21st, 2015 01:00

Dear Colin,

I saw tens of posts from guys  complaigning about the same issue but have not seen a clear answer to address it.

Is there a way to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. How Dell will address this ?

thanks

Jean-Bernard

(I provided mu service tag few days ago)

97 Posts

September 21st, 2015 02:00

Hi Colin is this offer to check service tag and fix this free upgrade issue with Windows 10 for only systems Dell has tested?

As I get same problem with a Alienware Aurora R3, (BTW this error first boot phase and the error code I can trace back on posts on web for not only Dell systems but others to when Windows 8 came out.

So MS I am sure is well aware of this. One would hope.

I was able to with a clean install upgrade to Win 8.1 as I had a spare key, from Win 7 64bit, as I notice sometimes with Win 81, when it reboots it locks up with the circle that stops spinning, a manual restart fixes it. sounds family to what happens with Windows 10

Windows 10 clean install will run on another drive in same system, but no key to activate it, but if this is a free upgrade, why do we need a key anyway.

Only difference between drives is one it works on is part of my Arrray and not a SSD drive and maybe stil booting with UEFI ( which I have learnt is another name for secure boot) although I thought I had turned that off in bios) Is there a way to turn off UEFI? As if it is only when one does a clean install of Win 8 or 10, you get a GPT error saying you cannot install to that partition. ( I know using disk partition cmd how to clean that from drive of coruse one looses any data if you have not done a back up. 

Is this what Windows 10 Upgrade is struggling to deal with after it has copied files at the 33% stage when it reboots.?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil

1 Message

September 28th, 2015 05:00

My service tag is (XPS 13, 512 GB SSD). For many weeks I have tried to upgrade to Windows 10, including a clean install, which was suggested by Dell Support Staff (phone support). This weekend I tried again, hoping for improved install files. I let the install run for two days, most of which was spent in the Copying files screen, after restarting, with the circle blinking. This was extremely slow. After all had finished copying etc, the system gave an error message in a white window saying something like "Windows could not install Windows 10". Then, I rolled back to Windows 8.1 which went fine. But I really would like to upgrade to Windows 10. -- Jaap Murre

3 Posts

September 30th, 2015 23:00

hi

i have the same problem with my new laptop

del xps 13 9343 core i7 512 SSD

my service Tag  <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Express Service Code <ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>

1 Message

October 2nd, 2015 12:00

I have exactly the same issue with the same machine. 

Can DELL please help??

I've tried many times, from USB, with updates, without updates, same error.

I do not want to do a 'clean' install and ruin my software build or lose data.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 01:00

DELL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO FIX THIS?

WE NEED AN ANSWER FROM YOU ASAP.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 02:00

Dell are fixing the problem - if you PM Colin Hurst  (who has replied above) with your service tag, he will sort it out. Do not post your service tag in the public forum though.

The problem is caused by the "SK.hynix" SSD specifically, so the problem can be fixed by swapping the SSD for another model. Unfortunately this might mean you lose your installed programs etc - but talk to Colin and see if there's a way around that.

Anyway my issue is fixed now: I have activated Win10 successfully and a new (slightly faster?) SSD! Thanks Colin (and Dell)!

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 03:00

dear friend

what do you mean by swapping the SSD for another model. what should i do.

thanks a lot

No Events found!