Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 15:00

XPS 13 (9343) - Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 - Error 0xC1900101 0x30018

I have a brand new XPS 13, 9343 model with i7 processor and 512GB SSD. I am still within the 14 day cooling off period, and I'm now seriously considering returning it. I have never experienced such a load of nonsense trying to install any other piece of software.

So far, and after many attempts, I've been totally unable to upgrade to Windows 10. The very first thing I did was install all available Windows updates for 8.1 (there were 79 of them), and immediately after that I began the Win10 install saga. Nothing else has been done to the laptop - no dodgy software or USB devices (other than the boot USB where necessary). It is in a clean state.

- After downloading through Windows Update, the installation procedure is INCREDIBLY slow (eg it takes 36 HOURS to reach 42% completion - and at this point it hits the error message). What on earth can it be doing??

- I also tried creating a bootable USB through the media creation tool. If I boot from this USB drive and perform a "clean" install, this works perfectly - it takes about 8 minutes in total (which emphasises how ridiculous the 36 hours is). However, because it is a clean install and not an "upgrade", I end up with a non-activated version of Windows 10 and I get prompted to pay £99.99, which I have no intention of doing. I paid for the laptop on the understanding it would get a FREE upgrade to Win10!

- I have also tried using the USB (but not booting from it) to perform the in-place upgrade - this hits the same error as Windows Update does (and takes just as long)

- I have tried uninstalling all antivirus software and disabling all wireless/bluetooth devices before attempting the upgrade - none of this helps. Given that it takes me 36 HOURS per attempt, it's really not acceptable to try disabling random things in the vain hope it might work correctly.

When attempting the upgrade (i.e. not clean installation), I hit an error message "Windows Setup cannot configure Windows on your hardware" or similar. When resuming after the failure, the setup tool gives the error code 0xC1900101 0x30018, and says it failed in operation "FIRST_BOOT", phase SYSPREP. Just getting to this error message costs me 36 hours of waiting (welcome to the future!), so it would really help if someone could give a definite answer on what causes it...

Please help! Auuughhh

1 Message

October 19th, 2015 10:00

Hello Colin,

My service Tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

4 Posts

October 31st, 2015 05:00

Hello Colin,

I have same spec XPS 13 and same problem. No answers from Dell. It seems you cannot publish your service tag here. Please advise how you can assist? Thank you.

5.2K Posts

October 31st, 2015 09:00

When using the Media Creation Tool, you should download the upgrade to the computer hard drive then and run from within Windows. After complete, you can reinstall to get the clean version. Do a little web searching for many hits on the installation.

• 

351 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 04:00

Hello Colin,

I have same spec XPS 13 and same problem. No answers from Dell. It seems you cannot publish your service tag here. Please advise how you can assist? Thank you.

Hi lubbo500,

If you have the Hynix 512GB SSD then the firmware for the XPS 13 is available here. Download and install it and then you can perform the upgrade to Windows 10.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 09:00

Thank you Colin for the help.

Unfortunately when I run the firmware application even as administrator it does not allow me to proceed with the install (FW button does not highlight).

My SSD is Hynix model is PC200 M.2 2280 512GB. FW version 20002B00

Any ideas?

Thanks. Brett

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 09:00

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the help. I have downloaded previously via the Media Creation Tool and run the install but it also failed. I don't have the product key for existing Windows 8.1 as it never came with the computer to do a clean install.  Can I request this from vendor or Microsoft?

Thanks.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2015 03:00

Hi, I'm having the same issues ie unable to upgrade.

Computer configure is 8 RAM/512 SSD, i7 processor, XPS 13

Hope you can assist

Thanks

2 Posts

November 5th, 2015 10:00

All sorted too :) and W10 installed all ok in less than 2 hours.

I was sent a link to the firmware upgrade for the ssd.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2016 03:00

Hi Colin!

i have same problem, my service tag is:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>. please advise me, how can i do?

2 Posts

October 12th, 2016 03:00

Dear Dell -Colin H!

My service tag is:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>. please help me to resolve it!

Thank you so much!

No Events found!