Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2016 10:00

XPS 13 (9343) crashes minutes after start up

About a week ago, my Dell XPS 13 running Windows 8.1 suddenly stopped working about 1 - 3 minutes after startup, then rebooted - only to continue crashing and rebooting after a few minutes. Unable to figure out what caused the problem, I did a clean install of Windows 10; that is, reformatting, and installing W10 from bootable USB.

After installing just a few Dell drivers (wifi, video, sound), the problem returned. Same issue; after power on, Windows seems to start as normal, then crashes after between 1 to 3 minutes.

System is a Dell XPS 13 (9343), i7-5500, 512Gb SSD, QHD touchscreen.

TIA for any help.

- Robert

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The memory on this model is soldered in - it cannot be removed.

If you haven't run a full hardware diagnostic, F12 a few times at powerup will get you in to do so.  You may also want to look to see if you have crash dump files (WhoCrashed is a good utility for deciphering them).

79 Posts

that could be a problem with one your memory chips try taking them out one at a time and try to boot it up each time and see what happens.take one out try booting it up and see what happens and then try the other one .

July 3rd, 2016 16:00

Preboot diagnostics does report memory problems. Will try to sort this out with the local Dell support. I extended the premium support, so this issue should still be covered by warranty.

Ridiculous really, I'm typing all this on a 7 year old € 150 Asus EEE PC that never had a problem, while last years top of the line Dell model notebook, costing over € 1500, fails just a year after buying. Nice work, Dell...

Anyway, I much appreciate your help.

Thanks,

- Robert

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 17:00

beleave me i know what you are saying i have an older dell XPS m1330 and i love it ,it's a very fast small laptop and i don't have a lot of problems with it,and i have run into the same problem you have  my desktop was down for about 2 months and i had to depend on my dell until i got it fixed and i had just purchased 8 gb of memory for my desktop an not 2 weeks after i put the memory in my desktop right in the middle of playing a game just stop working i couldn't get any video or nothin so i did the process of elimination i started with maybe power supply no that was fine i thought ok maybe cpu no that was fine so i took all of my memory 4 seperate sticks and put one at a time in until when i put the last one in that was the one that was the problem after i got that replaced and installed my pc has been fine every since. I am glad i could help.

July 3rd, 2016 19:00

I used to have the XPS M1330, and like you I loved it. But even after upgrading that with more memory and larger HD, I still needed a bit more oomp. Which is why I "updated" to this XPS 13.

Now I wish I kept the old system.

- Robert

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 20:00

mine does real good for a backup pc i love it and the good thing is it was given to me free of charge for fixing a customers 2 other laptops  and i have only had one real problem with the video but that was the cable that connects the lcd screen to the motherboard and that only cost $2.00 to fix.

July 5th, 2016 04:00

On a more positive note, the service Dell provides is certainly up to par. One phone call to the tech support center, and next day a Dell service chap shows up and installs a new motherboard.

Cool...

- Robert

79 Posts

July 5th, 2016 05:00

wow that's great now you do have a new laptop.

No Events found!