This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 (9343) very high CPU temperature

Hi,

I have noticed that my system (XPS13, Intel i7 5500U) gets very hot, I think more than usual and more than I have seen in the reviews of this model.

Under stress CPU temp gets very fast to 95-100 C. The fan works fine I think, turns on when needed but I have some doubts if the temperature that high is something normal.

Did anyone experienced similar problem?
Any solution from Dell regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Sebastian

2 Posts

January 10th, 2016 12:00

I get the same problem with my new Dell XPS 13 i7- 6500U. It gets really hot. Stress test in HWiNFO was hoovering around 75 Celsius, under I hour.

I am a bit surprised that no one has responded to this yet.

13 Posts

January 11th, 2016 14:00

What temperature do your fans come on?  I have an Inspiron with a 6500U.  My fans don't come on until around 80C, and CPU can reach 87C under stress.  On my previous Dell laptops the fan comes on around 65C.  (Intel rates the 6500U up to 100C)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 11th, 2016 14:00

The systems can get very hot especially under stress.  Have any of you received any thermal errors or error messages in general?  Have you tried diagnostics and if so what was the results, where they any failures?

Have you noticed any other errors, what is the performance of the notebook like?  Has Windows performance been sluggish, has the systems been hanging or locking up?  Does the notebook shut down randomly or unexpectedly?

Processors especially Core i7 processors can generate a lot of heat, especially with smaller notebook chassis that has less room for air flow, that isn't to say there is a problem.  Please reply back here if you all have been noticing other symptoms.

TB

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 12th, 2016 01:00

I have to admit, that a lot of dust is getting into air intake under the chasis. That dramatically lowers the cooling performance. I am having 50-60 C on normal use and 90-95 C under the stress after cleaning the air vents. No other symptoms.

13 Posts

January 13th, 2016 00:00

Initially, the screen on my Inspiron 7353 would flicker when the CPU got hot (around 80C).  There were no errors, the BIOS Thermal event log was empty, and there were no problems when running diagnostics at boot.

I solved the flickering by setting the System cooling policy to "active" in Power Options and using updated graphics and "Thermal Framework" drivers from Intel (not the drivers on Dell support site)  However the fans still don't turn on until around 80C, which seems high considering the system idles at 30C.

December 22nd, 2016 03:00

Well mine seems not a big difference, and my Inspiron 7459 is kinda new, like less than 2 months.

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 15:00

Hi Terry,

Couple of quick questions for you.  I have an XPS 9350 that apparently had a heat related event.  While flying (united...figures), the power supply got so hot it could burn. The laptop itself never generated a warning, but when I shut the device down it would never reboot.  Sent the device into Dell who claimed to have replaced the motherboard and returned to me, under warranty.  Now device is out of warranty and having problems that I have been unable to resolve with Dell support.  

The device wont reboot unless I repeatedly hold pwr/F12 for an extended period of time, with power supply unplugged. The screen will turn various shades then system shuts down completely.  When I plug back in it boots to Dell event screen with error message that an temperature event has occured and "temperature trip" along with something about needing to replace a part.  I believe the error code is 2000-1711.  

? # 1).  Is there a temp sensor corresponding to this error that trips in these events and may need replacement?  I would assume that when the MB was replaced this would solve problem? I have exchanged battery, power supply etc, no fix yet.

#2) Any chance this is hard drive related.

? # 2)  If this is not a hardware issue (ie question #1,2) can I simply reformat system + bios and solve problem?  

I'd like to save this system since I spent so much on it, but running out of patience and thoughts.

Thanks for the help in advance.

No Events found!