Highlighted
ChrisOfTheOT
1 Nickel

XPS 13 (9350): Freezes on 'Restart' (but not on cold boot)

Morning all - we're on our second XPS 13 (first was a (9343). This one is splendid, except for the above: if the computer is off, then it boots up fine, but if 'Restart' is selected from the Windows 10 'Power' option, then it freezes on the Dell logo (no spinning lights even).

Since I am in the process of trying to install everything and set up the laptop, restarts are frequent! I do not want to activate another Office licence (already lost one at £42) if this is problem cannot be solved - so I have about 10 days left.

All the drivers are up to date - BIOS is at the newest, v.1.00! - but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
43 Replies
ChrisOfTheOT
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 13 (9350): Freezes on 'Restart' (but not on cold boot)

So, still no help from Dell: same as last time... 

I did try changing the boot order in BIOS (HD-/Win. Boot Man.) but it's made no difference. I can re-boot if I turn the laptop off and then on again, but it will not 'Restart' from the Windows 10 Start button/Power.

It does re-start back to Windows if I exit the BIOS screens though. 

Fancy.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
LemaireC
1 Copper

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my new XPS 9350, reboot with UEFI mode failed.

I had to install windows 10 on Legacy BIOS for proper operation.

Can the DELL support bring us a solution ?

Thanks.

Clément

0 Kudos
idefix192
1 Copper

I have the exact same Problem. New XPS13 9350. Cleaninstalled Windows 10 Pro in UEFI Mode. Can't reboot. I can't install any Updates that require a clean restart.

Hangs on Dell Logo. CTRL-Alt- Del at this Time reboots and produces an Error message that may Point to the folling Error:

0xC0000454
STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_NVRAM_RESOURCES

Photo of Error

0 Kudos
ChrisOfTheOT
1 Nickel

Morning gents (I assume) - once again, I pleased to have support with the problem, though sorry that you're both having it too.

LemarieC: 'I had to install windows 10 on Legacy BIOS for proper operation.' That's interesting - it never occured to me to try running in legacy mode. I may give it a go... However, your mornful cry for Dell support will go on deaf ears here (at least, that's what's happened to me).

Idefix: I was interested with your note that you clean-installed Win10. So did I. Dell refused to put a larger hard drive in the laptop - 256GB only - and a clean install recovered about 20GB of space (nearly 10%). I also had the failure you show in your picture, probably for the same reason. The solution was to manually put the hard drive back in the boot options of UEFI. Specifically, you're looking for the file 'bootx64.efi' or something like it. (NOTE: I can't remember the exact name!)

I'll check more specifically later - stuff to do now - but adding the above file to the boot options manually should sort your specific problem, I think. (At least, it did for me.)

However: this does not address the re-start issue. (I may post on the MS or Win10 forums - we'll see.)

Thanks for posting gents,

Chris

0 Kudos
Fadilmurati
1 Nickel

I think its Ram failure. Try if you have more than one ram memory try one by one removing them. But firstly i recomend safe clean  the ram memories. Safe clean mean clean them with somethin soft.

If thats not an option maybe its the chipset. But nothing its sure if problem come again. So then you need to send it to the professionals.

0 Kudos
idefix192
1 Copper

Hi,

Thanks for your Input.

Power cycling the Machine works. It just does'n reboot. No Warm-Start.

I think an EFI Update is required.

0 Kudos
ChrisOfTheOT
1 Nickel

Idefix: In UEFI, under 'General/Boot Sequence' there is a button on the right for 'Add Boot Option' (under the boot sequence list). Click the button and you get to the 'Add Boot Option' screen. You must enter something in 'Boot Option Name' (anything) and at the bottom in the 'File Name' box, click the three dots (...) to browse. This opens the 'EFI Boot Selection' box. From memory, under 'Directories' there were two options my wife's XPS.

Click on the 'EFI' option (I think!) and the above file shows; select it and 'OK' out of everything before you 'Save Changes' (or similar) to exit UEFI.

That got Anna's XPS to boot okay...

But again, it does not affect the re-start problem. The XPS will re-boot out of UEFI back to Windows, but re-starting Windows 10 from the 'Start Button/Power' results in freezing, as first post. I'll try to post on the Win10 forums now: we'll see.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
ChrisOfTheOT
1 Nickel

Ah, yes. My apologies Idefix - I mis-read your post and thought you were referring to cold starts, not 'rebooting': my mistake, sorry!  

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
LemaireC
1 Copper

Hi,

It seems that a new BIOS update is released : http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R1Y56&fileId=3496143765&os...

Maybe this release solve our UEFI issue... ?

Does anyboby have tested ?

Regards,

Clément

0 Kudos