Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2015 02:00

XPS 13 (9350): Freezes on 'Restart' (but not on cold boot)

Morning all - we're on our second XPS 13 (first was a (9343). This one is splendid, except for the above: if the computer is off, then it boots up fine, but if 'Restart' is selected from the Windows 10 'Power' option, then it freezes on the Dell logo (no spinning lights even).

Since I am in the process of trying to install everything and set up the laptop, restarts are frequent! I do not want to activate another Office licence (already lost one at £42) if this is problem cannot be solved - so I have about 10 days left.

All the drivers are up to date - BIOS is at the newest, v.1.00! - but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

28 Posts

November 11th, 2015 04:00

So, still no help from Dell: same as last time...  :emotion-6:

I did try changing the boot order in BIOS (HD-/Win. Boot Man.) but it's made no difference. I can re-boot if I turn the laptop off and then on again, but it will not 'Restart' from the Windows 10 Start button/Power.

It does re-start back to Windows if I exit the BIOS screens though.  :emotion-7:

Fancy.

Cheers,

Chris

3 Posts

November 13th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my new XPS 9350, reboot with UEFI mode failed.

I had to install windows 10 on Legacy BIOS for proper operation.

Can the DELL support bring us a solution ?

Thanks.

Clément

4 Posts

November 15th, 2015 23:00

I have the exact same Problem. New XPS13 9350. Cleaninstalled Windows 10 Pro in UEFI Mode. Can't reboot. I can't install any Updates that require a clean restart.

Hangs on Dell Logo. CTRL-Alt- Del at this Time reboots and produces an Error message that may Point to the folling Error:

0xC0000454
STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_NVRAM_RESOURCES

Photo of Error

November 16th, 2015 01:00

I think its Ram failure. Try if you have more than one ram memory try one by one removing them. But firstly i recomend safe clean  the ram memories. Safe clean mean clean them with somethin soft.

If thats not an option maybe its the chipset. But nothing its sure if problem come again. So then you need to send it to the professionals.

28 Posts

November 16th, 2015 01:00

Morning gents (I assume) - once again, I pleased to have support with the problem, though sorry that you're both having it too.

LemarieC: 'I had to install windows 10 on Legacy BIOS for proper operation.' That's interesting - it never occured to me to try running in legacy mode. I may give it a go... However, your mornful cry for Dell support will go on deaf ears here (at least, that's what's happened to me).

Idefix: I was interested with your note that you clean-installed Win10. So did I. Dell refused to put a larger hard drive in the laptop - 256GB only - and a clean install recovered about 20GB of space (nearly 10%). I also had the failure you show in your picture, probably for the same reason. The solution was to manually put the hard drive back in the boot options of UEFI. Specifically, you're looking for the file 'bootx64.efi' or something like it. (NOTE: I can't remember the exact name!)

I'll check more specifically later - stuff to do now - but adding the above file to the boot options manually should sort your specific problem, I think. (At least, it did for me.)

However: this does not address the re-start issue. (I may post on the MS or Win10 forums - we'll see.)

Thanks for posting gents,

Chris

4 Posts

November 16th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

Thanks for your Input.

Power cycling the Machine works. It just does'n reboot. No Warm-Start.

I think an EFI Update is required.

28 Posts

November 16th, 2015 03:00

Idefix: In UEFI, under 'General/Boot Sequence' there is a button on the right for 'Add Boot Option' (under the boot sequence list). Click the button and you get to the 'Add Boot Option' screen. You must enter something in 'Boot Option Name' (anything) and at the bottom in the 'File Name' box, click the three dots (...) to browse. This opens the 'EFI Boot Selection' box. From memory, under 'Directories' there were two options my wife's XPS.

Click on the 'EFI' option (I think!) and the above file shows; select it and 'OK' out of everything before you 'Save Changes' (or similar) to exit UEFI.

That got Anna's XPS to boot okay...

But again, it does not affect the re-start problem. The XPS will re-boot out of UEFI back to Windows, but re-starting Windows 10 from the 'Start Button/Power' results in freezing, as first post. I'll try to post on the Win10 forums now: we'll see.

Cheers,

Chris

28 Posts

November 18th, 2015 00:00

Ah, yes. My apologies Idefix - I mis-read your post and thought you were referring to cold starts, not 'rebooting': my mistake, sorry!   :emotion-10:

Cheers,

Chris

4 Posts

November 26th, 2015 01:00

Greetings,

I updated to BIOS Version 1.0.4. No effect on reboot Problem. Be careful, i had to reenter the BitLocker Security Key after the Update.

So Long, still no Windows build 1511 thanks to no clean Reboot . . .

Already miss my Lenovo Laptop.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

It seems that a new BIOS update is released : http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R1Y56&fileId=3496143765&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9350-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

Maybe this release solve our UEFI issue... ?

Does anyboby have tested ?

Regards,

Clément

November 27th, 2015 10:00

Looks like we found a solution:

Windows needs to be installed with SATA mode - RAID. AHCI mode causes the bootloader to stuck on Dell logo.

For this you need to inject iaStorAC.inf (intel sata raid chipset) into boot.wim and install.wim

After we imaged it in RAID mode, it reboots without any issues.

We also tried updating BIOS to 1.0.5 before this, but it did not help.

Good luck!

1 Message

November 27th, 2015 17:00

I temporarily get the freezing on restart problem solved by creating an new boot entry using boot64.efi, but now it has came back.

Could you provide more details about injecting iaStorAC.inf into boot.wim and install.wim?

1 Message

November 28th, 2015 12:00

I changed to AHCI, installed Windows 10 from scratch, and then added ubuntu with dual boot.

When I choose reboot from Windows, it freezes on the dell logo, when I "alt+ctrl+del", I get the following message :

It's not exiactly the same as idefix192 ; the file is : \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD (and also it's in French since my Windows is in French)

Cold boot is 100 % OK.

Any idea ?

(I don't understand what RUSLAN.VAKILOV did with iaStorAC.inf, boot.wim and install.wim, is there a detailed howto somewhere ?)

Thanks

November 30th, 2015 01:00

Hi!

We bought some of those XPS 9350 for the company, and we use imaging software to prepare those laptops for users.

So we are installing windows in automatic mode, to make windows installer see SSD that is in RAID mode, we had to add drivers for intel sata raid chipset (downloads.dell.com/.../9350_Serial-ATA_Driver_WV03M_WN32_14.5.2.1088_A00.EXE) to windows setup files: boot.wim (WinPE that prepares installation) and install.wim (image with windows itself). In BIOS we switched SATA mode to RAID. And after windows is installed, it reboots without any issues.

Before we tried to install windows in AHCI mode, and it was freezing on restart as topic starter mentioned.

So looks like it is some kind of UEFI issue, that prevents bootloader to start OS from SSD in AHCI mode.

For home usage, I guess, you will need to uninstall AHCI sata device -> shutdown -> change mode in bios to RAID and  turn on the laptop. Windows might detect new hardware and install drivers. and all should be good. Or it might not detect it, and won't boot. So you do it on your own risk.

In worst case you need to copy those drivers to usb stick and plug it in during windows installation and point to the folder with drivers when it prompts for them.

28 Posts

December 1st, 2015 00:00

Getting more serious now. Yesterday we downloaded a massive Win10 update - a couple of hours to download, an hour more to install... at least on my Inspiron 7000.   :emotion-43:   On my wife, Anna's, XPS, it did not work because of the reboot failures. I have got the whole download onto the XPS but now it keeps asking for a reboot (or that one is scheduled for 03:30) but the 'Restart' continues to fail.

The problem now is that no other updates will install - everything is waiting for the new Win10 build to install (v10586): I take it this is what idefix mentioned above and that it will affect all XPS 9350s. This means that such things as Windows Defender updates cannot install.

This problem has therefore moved from inconvenient to potentially very serious: Dell, where are you on this?!   :emotion-7:

Cheers,

Chris

No Events found!