LindaJohn
1 Copper

XPS 13 9350 can I open sealed battery unit under warranty???

I have a faulty 5 month old XPS 13 9350, the laptop is 5 months into a 2 year warranty, the first year is with Dell, the second year is with John Lewis, who we bought it through - we think either the battery has failed, or the motherboard.  The laptop is obviously still under warranty,  If I open the sealed unit to test the battery, and to backup my hard drive will my warranty be voided if I then take it to John Lewis for repair?

I have spoken to John Lewis and they say that if we take it into them, they will send off to Dell for repair and that, due to the Data Protection Act, whatever the problem is with the laptop they will wipe my hard drive??????

0 Kudos
1 Reply
beamermt79
4 Ruthenium

RE: XPS 13 9350 can I open sealed battery unit under warranty???

Hello!  On most models of computers that Dell sells, they allow you to add or remove parts to suit your needs as long as you do not damage them.  You can find the service manual for your laptop here. As for what John Lewis' policies are I'm not sure as I've never heard of them.  Dell will do testing on the battery and motherboard as well as other components based on your issues when they receive the laptop.

As for data, its always a good idea to back up your hard drive.  There are generic steps that companies take when diagnosing computers and other devices and sometimes that requires reloading the OS and other software components to have a 'clean slate', as such they would wipe your hard drive.

0 Kudos