Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2016 10:00

XPS 13 9350 docking station compatibility

Hello,

I have a new XPS 13 9350 laptop (running Windows 10 Home) which I am trying to use with a D3100 docking station, connected to two S2415H monitors via HDMI cables.  I am having various issues with this:

• The laptop does not charge via the docking station.
  • I experience strange intermittent issues when connected to the docking station.  For example, sometimes my internet connection simply doesn't work and/or Chrome crashes (neither of which happen when not connected to the docking station).

My primary question is around compatibility.  The Dell website is entirely unclear as to which docking station(s) are or aren't compatible with the XPS 13 9350 (specifically the 9350, not earlier models).  I have looked at the product pages for the XPS 13 9350, the D3100 docking station and the newly available Thunderbolt Dock-TB15 docking station.  None of these pages explicitly show that the laptop is compatible with either of these docking stations.

So...could someone please confirm what is or isn't compatible?  The D3100 docking station doesn't appear to be fully compatible, but I suppose this could also be an issues with Windows 10 as well.

Thank you in advance,

Mark

1 Message

June 2nd, 2016 10:00

Just got off a chat with Dell and they stated the D3100 is compatible with the XPS 9350.  This means virtually nothing, as "compatible" doesn't mean it works properly in my experience. 

Have you updated the drivers and/or BIOS? 

Also, the D3100 doesn't charge ANYTHING. It does not have that capability. 

June 6th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for sharing Dan.  It is quite telling that after 3.5 months from my original post that the only reply I have gotten is not even from Dell itself, on their own forums.  Nice support effort.

I have updated everything I could think of from articles I found including BIOS, drivers, etc.  Generally speaking, things are working better than when I posted but still not without intermittent issues.

6 Posts

June 6th, 2016 14:00

Hi Mark,

Figured I'd help you out here, as we also purchased the Dell 13 9350's with the D3100 docking stations. The docking stations do work and are the suggested docks to use with the 9350, according to the rep at Dell I spoke with when I originally ordered the laptops. I've also had to troubleshoot the 2nd issue quite frequently here.

Unfortunately for your first issue, Dell does not make conventional docking stations for these laptops. They should really be classified as Port Replicators, because that is all they are. Any "docking station" you purchase for this laptop WILL NOT charge it. It is the same with the 12's and 15's, so pretty sure it is like this with all XPS laptops.

As for the intermittent issues, we use Windows 8/8.1, most of the time the issue is due to the USB ports timing out, which is common with Windows 8/8.1. Simply locking the laptop (Windows Key + L) will fix the issue if this is the problem. However, I'd also suggest updating the drivers on the dock, as that did help alleviate some of the issues we experienced. Here is the link:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=559

June 6th, 2016 16:00

Thank you Yakturk43.  Since my original purchase I have learned (and concur with you) that the D3100 would be much more accurately called a Port Replicator since it doesn't do everything implied by the name Docking Station.  This is disappointing since devices can obviously be charged via USB connection, but it is what it is.

I am using Windows 10, which I think comes with a different set of issues.  For example, my machine completely locks up from time to time, requiring a hard reboot.  I have only seen this happen while plugged into the D3100, but I also spend the majority of my time plugged into it so that may or may not be connected.  I also updated all of the drivers for the dock, the monitors and everything else possibly in the loop.  Things are better but I still have intermittent issues.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to share your input and advice.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2016 19:00

To clarify: there is a dock/port replicator that will charge the XPS 9350, they are the thunderbolt docks TB15, WD15 which will connect via USB-C.

The D3100 is an attractive option because it's compatible with laptops that do not have USB-C.  

I've chosen the D3100 for my XPS 9350 because I also needed compatibility with Latitude laptops of various (recent) generations.

June 8th, 2016 08:00

Thanks Ogrex.  I have considered getting the TB15 but thus far have decided not to spend another $200+ on something that I have read about other people having various issues with.

No Events found!