Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2016 21:00

XPS 13 9350 doesnt boot after switching to AHCI

I want a dual boot Linux on my W10 xps13, but after trying to change the W10 installation to AHCI, the laptop doesnt boot anymore. No Dell logo, no UEFI, machine powers on but nothing happens.

I was following these tips to get the dual boot: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_%282016%29#Dual_booting_Linux_and_Windows

Nothing worked for me, first tried the non-regedit stuff and when that didnt work I edited the regedit, with this result...

Any ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2016 05:00

You cannot change the SATA mode (RAID, AHCI) without at least modifying the Windows registry first -- or reloading Windows once the mode has been changed.  Even the registry edits don't always work.  Further, you can't change the system from UEFI to Legacy or vice-versa without reloading Windows.  Assuming you've made no changes to the system, revert it to the factory setting (most likely RAID ON and definitely UEFI and Secure Boot ON), and the system should boot.

There are some new versions of Linux that will work in UEFI and RAID mode; check with the publisher of your distribution for details.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2016 09:00

Thanks. It can not be restored to factory settings, as I can not get into UEFI or anyting at all. But Dell is going to replace the laptop.

I am not going to choose a linux version based on if it's working with RAID mode. And the thing is, it was not working at all, also in AHCI mode I couldnt install Linux (and I was willing to give up the W10 install because its in RAID mode). Very disappointing, you buy an expensive laptop that has Linux compatible hardware and you can't install Linux on it. Should have bought a thinkpad...

No Events found!