Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2016 14:00

XPS 13 9350 i7 can't play 4K

I have a XPS 13 9350 with an i7-6560U and 16GB RAM. I tried to watch a 4K video such as this one but it would stutter considerably. I've tried using Media Player Classic and VLC (with hardware acceleration turned on and off) with no success. Streaming 4K videos on YouTube presents no problems.

Is it supposed to be like this? If so then I am a bit disappointed. Even though it's an under-powered laptop CPU, I was still hoping the i7-6560U would have better performance than this.

9.4K Posts

September 13th, 2016 06:00

Hi marcolorenzo,

Thanks for posting.

If your computer is viewing 4K videos on some sites like YouTube, but not on others like the one in your link, it's a good possibility that its the website and not the computer that has the problem.  

Have you been able to test the site you referred to on a different computer and have it work correctly?  If so, post back with your results.

Regards,

Robert

September 13th, 2016 16:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. The link I posted is a download link, not streaming like YouTube. As far as I know, video files tend to look better than YouTube due to the compression YouTube uses which is why I feel it might be more taxing on the system. I don't have access to another PC with similar or better specs than my XPS 13 unfortunately. I was kind of hoping someone can try downloading it on their XPS 13 and see how it runs.

Regards,

Marco

4 Posts

September 17th, 2016 22:00

FWIW, I tried your video and picked up the same stuttering.  I have a new XPS 13, i7, 16GB, 512SSD, Iris graphics.  

And I'm running it on Google Fiber currently speed testing at 413 Mbps via wireless, so I don't think it's the download speed :)

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

There's a clear issue in playing 8K videos, but I cannot watch 4k video downloaded to local drive.

Even located in RAM disk (took a sample)

Even with mpv --framedrop=decoder

Is this hardware designed for such cases?

Thanks,

Leo

January 15th, 2017 12:00

Only as of Intel "Kaby Lake" (7th generation Intel CPUs) is hardware-decoding present for the video codecs used in 4K videos - this enables very efficient processing and smooth playback.

Prior to that, decoding is possible in principle, but a total displeasure to watch.

The XPS 13 (9360) plays back 4K nicely and effortlessly.

No Events found!