Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2017 20:00

XPS 13 9350, plugged in, not charging issue

Hello,

I have the same exact issue as posted here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19679930

The AC charger I received in the box when we purchased the Dell XPS 13 9350 is 45W but as of recent I have been getting the "plugged in, not charging" error. Is it possible to replace this charger with the 90W charger discussed in the post above?

Please let me know how to proceed.

Best,

Robert

9.4K Posts

November 1st, 2017 07:00

Hi cachro2,

Thanks for posting.

Are you also receiving the error message:  Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

If so, that's usually an indicator that either the adapter or the charging system is not working.  

45W is the recommended adapter for this model, and increasing the wattage will not make the system charge any better.  In the other post, the customer stated that they got a new adapter which solved the issue.

If you are still under warranty, please contact Tech Support for troubleshooting and possible resolution.  If not, you can purchase another adapter from Dell Spare Parts, parts-people.com or Discount Electronics.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 1st, 2017 06:00

First thing to try is indeed a new AC adapter - 90W is OK in place of 45 but will be larger and heavier.

If that doesn't solve the issue, replace the DC jack:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

...and if that doesn't solve it, replace the mainboard.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2017 12:00

I went ahead and tested out a different adapter at BestBuy and it did indeed begin charging.  For some reason the charger was damaged even though the light near the plug was still glowing as if it was operational.

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Robert

No Events found!