Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

XPS 13 9350 won't power on

My wife's XPS 13 won't power on. The power LED lights up for about 10 seconds then goes off again. There's no fan sound or anything else. Pressing the battery check button shows it fully charged. I've tried holding the power button down for ages but that doesn't seem to do anything. Makes no difference if the power adapter is plugged in or not.

In possibly related symptoms, recently the left-click action on the mouse pad stopped working, so I'm wondering if the battery's swollen up or something?

I don't know how to diagnose beyond this point. Six months out of warranty, of course, so I do have Torx tools to open it up if necessary. Any helpful advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

First, get the battery out of the system if it's even beginning to swell.  While in there, once the battery and AC adapter are unplugged, hold the power button for 30 sec.  Unplug all external devices.

Then try powering up on AC only  -- if the system will, then the battery needs to be replaced (which Dell is doing, even out of warranty on many of these systems).  If the system still won't power up, the mainboard is bad.

3 Posts

January 4th, 2018 03:00

Took the battery out and symptoms are the same (although left-click has come back on the trackpad).

If anyone from Dell is reading this, is there any way to get a £1000+ laptop repaired when it breaks inside two years but out of warranty?

No Events found!