Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2017 20:00

XPS 13 9350 won't shut down

Have had unit over a year, just started having problem not shutting down a month or so ago. Haven't added, removed, or changed anything. Running Windows 10.  Have tried changing power settings and instructing computer to shut down when power button pressed, lid closed, or shut down directly from system menu. Doesn't matter what I do. It will never completely shut down, instead re-starts automatically, even with lid closed, slowly draining battery if not plugged into AC. Also automatically re-starts even when just supposed to go to sleep after set period of non-use (when programs are still open). When this happens, it re-starts in recovery mode since it wasn't shut down properly (well duh, it was just supposed to go to sleep....). This is driving me nuts. 

9.4K Posts

October 24th, 2017 05:00

Hi KAPOOW,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information I found while researching this issue:

Follow the steps below and check if it helps:

1. Click on Windows button and then go to Settings.
  2. Click on Power and sleep Option.
  3. Select Additional power settings.
  4. From the left corner select Choose what the power button does.
  5. Under power button settings when I press the power button select Shut Down.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 24th, 2017 06:00

When you click the Shutdown option after hitting the start button, what exactly happens?  When it restarts, what screen is showing?  Is it different from signing out?

I am having a problem with my 9365 but that might be just this system.

16 Posts

October 24th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for quick reply Robert, but if you read my posting carefully you'll see I've already tried that fix. Didn't make any difference.

16 Posts

October 24th, 2017 13:00

Saltgrass & Robert, 3 scenarios:

1) When I click Shutdown from the start button, it does a re-start, just as if I'd clicked Restart. It then loads normally. This happens no matter how I try to shut down.

2) When I close the lid, it's supposed to shut down (per my settings in power options) but it restarts, even with lid closed. When lid is opened again, there's a full blue RECOVERY screen, stating that system didn't load properly. I have the choice to select "Advanced Recovery Options" or "Restart" (again). I've tried the recovery options, but wasn't helpful, so I just restart (again) and then it loads normally.

3) If I am away from laptop, either on battery or AC, it's supposed to go to sleep (per my selected settings in power options), however instead it restarts to RECOVERY screen (as above).

In all cases, if not connected to AC, it slowly drains the battery and dies.

1 Message

October 26th, 2017 11:00

The first answer in the following post worked out for me.

Turning of the fast startup will let you shut down the xps again:

www.reddit.com/.../

16 Posts

October 26th, 2017 14:00

maddinB - Thanks for directing me to the post at www.reddit.com/.../  

I have turned of fast start up and it has made no difference.

I noticed that someone else on the reddit post that it didn't work for them either.

Oh well, it was worth a try, so thanks again.

2 Posts

October 28th, 2017 17:00

SAME SITUATION HERE! so frustrating

16 Posts

October 29th, 2017 12:00

Basically, I've resigned myself to the reality that when I'm not using my laptop, I have to leave it plugged in or else the battery is dead the next time I want to use it. The battery is fine - and I can use it on battery for hours without going dead, but if I leave it unplugged for long periods of time (like overnight or when I'm at work), it eventually goes dead since I can't turn it off. Makes it fairly useless for travel if there is no AC to plug it into. I now use my laptop only at home - like a desktop computer. I don't take it with me when I travel, instead rely only on my smartphone, which is not "smart" at all for accessing files. :-(

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 29th, 2017 14:00

How old is the laptop and are you running the Fall Creator's Build of Win 10?

There are some folks on the Microsoft site with Surface Pro 4s.  They shutdown and the battery drains at around 3% per hour.   I have seen older batteries which cannot maintain a charge.  It could be that or it not shutting down correctly is leaving something active.

You might try running the two commands below in an Admin Command prompt.  For the second one, it takes a minute and shutdown everything you can before running it.

powercfg /sleepstudy

powercfg /energy

Note where the reports are stored and copy or move them to the desktop to open.

One more which might be helpful:

powercfg /batteryreport

14 Posts

October 30th, 2017 03:00

Yes,i think it is a problem of windows system?

16 Posts

October 30th, 2017 14:00

Saltgrass, my laptop is less than a year old. Yes, I am running Fall Creator's Build of Win 10 (version 1709). The problem began several weeks ago, when I was still running Version 1703. After the update to 1709, nothing changed. It still will not shut down. The issue is not the battery. It charges, holds a charge, and lasts several hours. However, even hibernate or sleep will eventually drain any battery unless it's plugged back into AC, correct? Therefore, I must ultimately plug it back in when not in use. Not sure what the purpose of running those reports would be. Enlighten me please.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 30th, 2017 15:00

We are seeing problems and each system may have some variance.  What I know for sure is i had no problems prior to the new build.  Rolling back to the previous build stopped the problems.  Since I don't have your system and it may vary quite a bit from the 9365 your situation may be different.

16 Posts

October 30th, 2017 16:00

As you can guess, rolling back to 1703 won't help since that's when it started :-(

Ho-hum. Keeping it plugged it when not is use. Not a huge issue, just a stupid inconvenient one.

1 Message

October 31st, 2017 21:00

Kapoowi, just to let you know you are not crazy, my DELL xps-13, purchased last March is exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.  Tried everything you have tried.  No difference.  Very frustrating.  I often pack the night before and when I get on the plane, half of my battery is gone.  This machine will NOT shut down, no matter what I have tried.  -Tom

16 Posts

October 31st, 2017 22:00

My condolences Tom. At least you have 1/2 a battery the next day. I have none. Small concession I know. :-(

No Events found!