Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2017 12:00

XPS 13 9360 Battery Life After Latest BIOS Release

Ever since upgrading the BIOS in my system to the latest 2.3.1, the battery life in my system has gone all to ***. I used to routinely get 8 to 10 hours use out of it, and now, if I'm lucky, I get two hours. Tech support has already done an on-site battery and system board replacement, to no avail. I can sit and watch the battery percentage drop in the ePSA screen. System demand supposedly around 2,000 mA, which should yield 30 hours of runtime with the 60 Wh (brand new) battery, but yet goes down to zero in just over two hours. System is also running hot, I notice. All this in the pre-boot diagnostics, so no OS load on the processor.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Last time I updated the BIOS before this was back in April, 2017, which really improved the battery performance.

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest installing latest Dell Command | Update from your Dell Product Support page to check for any much needed drivers and firmware for the system. Please click on the link below for additional information.

How to use Dell Command | Update to update all drivers ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please make sure latest Dell Command | Power Manager - version: 2.2.1, A00 Sept 28 2017 ) is installed on the system. After, right click the battery icon at taskbar, and then check / or change battery settings to see if it will make any difference. Please expand Battery Information in link below, select Battery Setting, and then view Battery Settings.

Dell Command | Power Manager User Guide

EDIT:

Standard - Fully charges the battery at a moderate rate. This setting provides a balanced approach to extending battery life while still providing a reasonably fast charging time. Recommended for users who frequently switch between battery and external power sources.

Primary AC - Extends battery life by lowering the charge threshold, so that the battery never charges to 100 percent capacity. Recommended for users who primarily operate the system while plugged into an external power source.

4 Posts

DCU is not compatible with the XPS 9360. I have verified that all drivers are up-do-date and latest versions being used.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions. I think this is related to the latest version of the BIOS that was published. Everything was fine before upgrading it. The old BIOS is no longer downloadable from the support website, so not sure what else to do at this point.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

And.....

4 Posts

November 28th, 2017 10:00

Thanks. I've already done this. The reduced battery life is even happening in "power saver" mode. Bigger issue to think about is that this is not only happening within windows, but happens even without loading the OS. In the BIOS and ePSA pre-boot screens where battery health can be monitored, the battery can be seen draining much faster than would be expected based on the size of the battery and the shown power demand. The system demand is shown to be  around 2,000 mA, which should yield 30 hours of runtime with the 60 Wh (brand new) battery, but yet goes down to zero in just over two hours. This is under no-load with nothing running except the BIOS configuration utility or ePSA utility and the screen being on. Published battery life for this system is over 12 hours. I routinely got over 8 hours using it normally before the BIOS update I did last week.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 10:00

Please verify the battery setting in the BIOS or in the Dell Command Power Manager app. It should be listed either as Primary, Standard, Custom or Adaptive. It should be listed in Battery Information in the BIOS.

For example: 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 11:00

You could also check the Battery Usage by App in the System Settings. Please type Setting onto the [Cortana] search box, click System, Battery, and select battery usage by app - see image below):

Note: Remove AC adapter before checking battery usage:

1 Message

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

Hi ParryB, my laptop XPS 13 9360 has exact similar issues as you have mentioned. I purchased just 2 months back. In 43 hours of laptop completely shut down, the level of the battery fell down to 37% from 100% initial charge. The dell representative has been trying to resolve since last 2 weeks but could not. The technician replaced the battery on-site. He told if it does not resolve, then he will replace the motherboard. But no solution even replacing the battery. Since you have mentioned that even replacing the motherboard has not resolved the battery drainage issue, then I am not willing to do trial and error on my laptop. Dell must spend money for doing research in their office and they must stop wasting consumers' time. Please let me know if you have got the resolution. I am thinking to return the laptop if they can not resolve. Thanks!

1 Message

December 10th, 2017 02:00

I recently bought my laptop (XPS 13 9360 8th Gen) 3 weeks ago. Since actively using the device last week not only have I experienced repeated shutdowns but now my battery life has also been impacted. I use to get up 18hours+ now I'm lucky to get half of that on a full charge. With the battery save option I can get another 2-3hrs... but its not like it use to be. I have checked the Dell Power Management and also checked the settings on the BIOS but no change. Was going todo a recovery reset but I doubt this would solve the battery issue... I'm surprised that a product full of issues could be sold.

No Events found!