Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 13th, 2016 01:00

XPS 13 9360 (Kaby Lake) Feedback

I received my XPS13 9360 with i5 KabyLake processor, 8Gb of RAM, and 256Gb SSD configuration  today and I'm impressed with it so far. I ordered a 9350 model with the (i5 SkyLake) last month but returned it to Dell for a refund due to the infamous 'noise' issue, sub-par network card performance, and intermittent speaker distortion. I really like the XPS 13 and dreaded have to send it back; I just couldn't accept the shortcomings and deficiencies considering the amount of money spent. Well, it is obviously too soon to say that there aren't any gremlins hiding and lurking in the 9360 version but I can certainly say that this particular system is working flawlessly--perfect. As far as noticeable differences in processor performance, I really can't say (or care)--I only had the 9350 for a couple of days so I have no basis to compare.  I'm not into hair-splitting or super-sonic performance and could care less about the nanosecond differences in the SkyLake and KabyLake processors. I would have been quite happy with the 9350 had it not been for the gremlins I noted. I'm not the into gamer stuff anyway--the i5 processor is quite suitable for my purposes. However, the little bugger is super fast-scary fast! I am very impressed with the new Killer network card, too. Man, the thing is truly awesome; it is very stable with excellent range (throughout our two-story home). Lastly, the laptop shipped to me is dead quite--except for very subtle fan noise when the processor is under load. The bottom line is that I am quite pleased so far. This is all the feedback I have on day one and will post a follow-up later, whether good or bad. Just thought I would share my thoughts with interested parties. I hope everything goes well because I really like this little laptop. 

2 Posts

October 13th, 2016 13:00

Hi! Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to buy this laptop, I would really appreciate your follow up comments about your experience with it. Cheers!

9 Posts

October 15th, 2016 13:00

So no coil whine? I'm waiting for my i7 9360 and i am really worried about this issue.  I won't accept such a thing on a 2k USD laptop.

October 15th, 2016 19:00

So far, no 'whine' or noises--the notebook has been completely quiet while using it. I don't do any  computing that requires heavy loads on the system; therefore, I can't really offer much feedback in this regard. All I can say is that I have not experienced the whining, sizzling noises like the 9350 I ordered. It is totally quiet, maybe too quiet. I've only heard the fan come on a few times for short bursts.  Based on what I read about the XPS13's charging heat issue, I used the laptop on battery power all day long (down to 20% capacity). During the charging cycle (very fast recharge cycle I might say), both the power supply and notebook bottom became unusually hot--I'm talking hot!! I don't recall hearing the fan activate once so I'm wondering if the thing is really working anymore. Saying this, I must agree with other users that at least some XPS13s generate a lot of heat during charging. Especially the power supply--I couldn't hold it in the palm of my hand very long either. This is not normally as far as I'm concerned. It bothered me enough that I attempted to contact Dell's Tech Support via the online applet but I couldn't connect to the site.  So I'm calling Dell first thing Monday morning to report this behavior. Again, this does not seem to be normal; I have 2 older model but functional laptops including two Dells and none exhibit this behavior during the charging cycle. Other than the heat thing, the notebook has functioned flawlessly on both AC and battery power. No sleep problems, no crashes, no noise, no display flickering--nothing so far. Again, so far, so good--I'll keep posting feedback for all.  

1 Message

October 19th, 2016 11:00

Just to say that I too have bought the same laptop recently. I have found no issues with heat when charging although I do notice that there is a BIOS update marked as "Urgent" and lots of driver updates dated at the end of September. I had duly updated everything before using the laptop in situ.

15 Posts

October 20th, 2016 11:00

Any issues with USB ports? I posted on this section earlier today & want to know if it's a widespread problem. In summary, no Autoplay or 'remove USB' icon when using right hand port.

9 Posts

October 20th, 2016 15:00

I received my 9360 today and i love it. I just tried right usb port though, and i experience what you describe, fyjat. No auto-play or "remove USB"-icon.. But it shows up under devices though, so it's software-related.

Btw i was a litle disappointed to find that my 16 gigs of ram is 1866 Mhz and not 2133 Mhz. I'm sure I saw on the Dell website, that it was 2133 Mhz (under detailed specs), but they must have changed it right before (or after) my order.. Oh well :-)

15 Posts

October 20th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the reply titankm, good to know it isn't just me! Tried running a workaround (from Google!) from CMD prompt to generate a 'remove hardware' function (rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll) but drive seemed invisible to this & still despite the drive showing up under devices & working OK (apart from being unable to see the flash drive plugged into it when trying to create recovery media, had to use LHS one).

Dell Support seemed to think it's due to the upgraded chipset & the fact that the RHS port is a Powershare port & wired to a different board than the LHS one. They've escalated it to a 'product team' & they're gonna get back to me, I'll post when I hear.

Having had to return 2 9350s due faulty hardware (keyboard then touchscreen) I was beginning to think I was jinxed!

& btw, my RAM also 1866 Mhz - ordered mine 7th Oct. Can't recall what website specs said, but 1866 Mhz now...

4 Posts

October 25th, 2016 10:00

I just received my 9360 i7 16Gb 512Gb ssd on 10/25/16 ordered 10/16/16 and mine is also dead quiet, just as quiet as my late 2013 MacBook Pro 13. Totally impressed so far...

No Events found!