Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2017 17:00

XPS 13 9360 SLOW BOOT: two dell post

After seeing some youtube video, I realised that my 9360 may had a problem. When I boot, there is 2 dell post. My boot time is quite bad, it's about 25 seconds.

I have windows fastboot enable.

Here a video of demonstration of my boot: 

I will provide any information, just ask me.

Thanks!

Bernard

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 18th, 2017 04:00

Is McAfee Live Safe installed?

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 05:00

I kept the free mcafee installed, but I dont think I have Mcafee livesafe

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 06:00

I uninstalled McAfee using their uninstall tool and it doesn't seems to have no effect on my boot :(

Anything else?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 18th, 2017 06:00

Any version of McAfee will significantly increase the bootup time - get rid of it an just use Windows Defender.

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

Disabling start up programs didn't make any noticeable change.

However, I manage to only have one bios post which lead to windows login directly. I still have a blackscreen of about 7 seconde before the post and in total, it's taking 20 second to boot to login.

I think it's still quite slow, i'm sure it can be improved.

Disably thunderblot support for boot did'nt change anything and doing "powercfg -h off" (which disable fastboot) increase the boot time of about 10 second.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you disable some of the programs in (Task Manager) Startup. Please type Task Manager onto [Cortana] search box, and then click on Startup. If possible, post a image of the programs in Startup.

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 10:00

I have Microdoft edge(and IE) and chrome

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

What browser (or browsers) on the system? Chrome ? Microsoft Edge ? etc ?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You could be experiencing a corrupt windows update. For example: When you power on system, windows try to install latest update but the update failed, therefore whenever you startup system again, the process repeat itself. I suggest you run the System file checker. Please follow steps below:

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

a) Select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

15 Posts

January 18th, 2017 12:00

I had the same issue on my 9360 where the Dell logo would show twice.

After hours of trying different things the only solution that worked for me was to clear the NVRAM by reseating the CMOS battery:

www.dell.com/.../SLN284985

11 Posts

LSUFAN1,

I tried your idea, both scan found no error and I also did the last step.

This had no effect what so ever,

but thank you for the try

Your laptop is misbehaving before Windows has had the chance to do anything. It is highly, highly unusual that a laptop posts twice as shown in your video.

1.) update the BIOS to 1.2.3

2.) perform a reset to defaults in the BIOS

3.) If there is still an issue, restore the laptop from the Dell firmware image (on that SSD); this will kill all your data

4.) If there is still an issue, return for repair to Dell.

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 13:00

SuperHanss, When you say that you had the same issue, are you speaking of having a long blackscreen before boot or the 2 dell post?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2017 14:00

As shoffmeister suggested, you could update the System Setup(BIOS) and see if that will make a difference. The Latest BIOS update is listed as 'Urgent' on your Dell Support page. Please click on link below to safety install latest update.

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

15 Posts

January 18th, 2017 14:00

@beurnii

Both I guess.

The Dell logo would show normally, then disappear for a few seconds (black screen), then reappear with the spinning Windows animation and proceeded to boot normally. This would occur with a cold boot and reboot.

No Events found!