Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2016 12:00

XPS 13 9360 Touchpad random clicks

Hello,

We just bought two laptops and both experience the same issue. While using the touchpad, suddenly, they start generating false clicks and that messes around with anything you do using touchpad. My colleague is a windows user while I am an Ubuntu user. While in Windows it seems to appear less often, in Ubuntu is like a click fest. The biggest issue is that after this anomaly starts the clicks are generated even if you don't use the touchpad. Try to watch an youtube while this is happening ....

As I cant seem to get in direct contact with Dell Support I hope for a response here.

My question is: Should we wait for a BIOS update in the next couple of days or should we return the units back for replacements?

Thank you!

Out configuration is:

XPS 13 9360, I7, 16GB RAM, 1T SSD, QHD+

• 

16.7K Posts

November 29th, 2016 06:00

Johnny Black,

You can go into the touchpad settings in Windows to adjust the sensitivity settings as well as in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu and in Windows 10 you can click the links below to adjust the settings.

Touchpad-Ubuntu
Touchpad-Windows 10

35 Posts

November 29th, 2016 07:00

To fix (improve) the ubuntu touchpad situation, please see my posts in:

en.community.dell.com/.../19996875

10 Posts

November 29th, 2016 08:00

Hi abrahm!

Indeed it is detected twice. I will remove the psmouse for further testing however I also own an XPS12 (2013) and there it is also detected twice but I don't experience the same behavior. I will provide further feedback after I test this. Thank you!

Regards

10 Posts

November 29th, 2016 11:00

Thank you Jesse! I will test this solution and provide feedback on it asap.

Best regards

10 Posts

November 30th, 2016 01:00

After a few hours of usage, with psmouse driver unloaded, I can't say it is fixed or that there is big improvement. The thing is, this behavior does not occur any time and I cant seem to find what it is triggering it. I will try Jesse's suggestion now.

35 Posts

November 30th, 2016 17:00

I'm sorry my suggestion didn't help!

Post your current touchpad settings (using synclient) and I'll set mine up the same way to try to help.

Have you changed any touchpad settings or window focus settings in settings or in gnome-tweak-tool?

10 Posts

December 1st, 2016 02:00

My touchpad didn't work at all, the same fox XPS 13 9360.

Service man came to me and he replaced touchpad with new one but it didn't help. Than he reset BIOS (new one 1.0.7) into manufacturer settings and it helped, touchpad started to work in BIOS.

In Windows touchpad still didn't work. So than he removed "I2C HID Device". Than he click to scan for new hardware and touchpad has been istalled back and is working fine.

Maybe reseting BIOS will help you too.

10 Posts

December 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi all,

First of all, this is for LINUX users.

It seems that working with the touchpad sensitivity did it for me. I think this is very specific to each device (its physical construction) so I don't know if my settings will work for others.

After testing a few values I ended up wtih these settings: Synaptics Finger (298): 35, 40, 100. My original settings were 25 30 0

To set the new parameters use this command:

xinput --set-prop 12 "Synaptics Finger" 35 40 100

And a bit of help about what each number means:

1. Option "FingerLow" "integer"

When finger pressure drops below this value, the driver counts it as a release. Property: "Synaptics Finger"

2. Option "FingerHigh" "integer"

When finger pressure goes above this value, the driver counts it as a touch. Property: "Synaptics Finger"

3. Option "FingerPress" "integer"

When finger pressure goes above this value, the driver counts it as a press. Currently a press is equivalent to putting the touchpad in trackstick emulation mode. Property: "Synaptics Finger"

Regards

10 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 03:00

UPDATE2:

I have tried to lower the sensitivity to the maximum (if my understanding on those settings was correct):

xinput --set-prop 12 "Synaptics Finger" 99999999 99999999 100

Then I logged the events with: xinput --test 12 (where 12 is my device id). As you can see below those button press and button release events are registered while I am moving the finger on the touchpad quite firmly (to avoid lifting it from the touchpad)

motion a[0]=137

button release 1

motion a[1]=226

motion a[1]=226

motion a[1]=224

motion a[1]=224

motion a[1]=223

motion a[1]=222

motion a[1]=222

motion a[0]=136

button press   1

button release 1

button press   1

button release 1

motion a[1]=220

motion a[0]=136 a[1]=218

motion a[0]=134 a[1]=216

motion a[0]=133 a[1]=213

motion a[0]=132 a[1]=212

motion a[0]=131 a[1]=211

motion a[0]=130 a[1]=210

motion a[0]=129 a[1]=209

motion a[0]=128 a[1]=209

motion a[0]=126 a[1]=208

motion a[0]=124

motion a[0]=122

10 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 03:00

UPDATE: I was wrong. It appears this  did not fix my issue 100%. It is less often but it still occurs from time to time and, I think I know now how to reproduce it. Basically the touchpad goes nuts when you combine taps/drags with hard clicks. For example when you try to resize a window by first hard clicking and hold the border then drag. And I have tested this both on Windows and on Linux.

Dell support pls let me have your opinion on this.

Thanks

10 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 06:00

UPDATE 3: I have tested the combination of "left hard click" + "drag" (it takes a few times till the issue appears) on windows 10 and that seems clearly one way to reproduce this behavior. The random clicking is less often however the cursor freezes and jumps compared to Linux.

May I please have one of the other XPS 13 9360 owners trying and maybe confirming this? Thanks!

1 Message

I have the same issues on Windows 10. If I disable the Tap I no longer get random click but, after a while, the touch pad stops working properly. The mouse cursor gets stuck in place no matter how I move my finger. I have to lift off my finger and try again until it eventually starts working again for a few seconds then stops again. Only be restarting the system I can get it to work again.

This is pretty disappointing since I simply cannot start using this new laptop and risk having to send it to the service at some point which would mean moving everything back on my old laptop and lose time in the process.

35 Posts

Johnny Black,

Thanks for your effort...

After more time really using the laptop, I've seen the touchpad have a few freak-out moments even with the linux software configured well.

I wish I had Windows available to test better like you are doing. Hopefully, Dell will take the time to fix bugs that are clearly OS-agnostic.

I'll have time to test more thoroughly over this weekend.

10 Posts

December 6th, 2016 05:00

@dell: any updates on this issue?

Furthermore, both laptops are humming ... louder when they are plugged to the power supply. Is this standard quality for 2500 USD a piece?

15 Posts

December 19th, 2016 21:00

I cannot get touchpad sensitivity to work on my 9360. Extremely sensitive, so I'm always opening files, clicking on things, switching windows when I don't want to. Frustrating. I'm on OpenSuse Linux, and tried many different options and researched the issue extensively - not just hours, but days. I got to where only one touchpad was being detected, and am using synaptics, but FingerLow and FingerHigh settings have no effect. No sensitivity Z value is being relayed by the touchpad. Help would be nice!

No Events found!