Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2016 12:00

XPS 13 9360 : connected standby often doesn't "sleep" !

On my brand new XPS 13 9360 / 16Go / 512 Go/ QHD+, "connected standby" is enabled by default.

The problem is that from time to time (but quite often), when I close the lid of my laptop, it continues to consume as much power as if I was using it, it doesn't really "sleep". The consequence is that it drains the battery and, additionally, if you put your XPS in a sleeve, it can overheat !

Do you experience the same problem ? How to fix it ? This is a major issue.
I have installed very few program so far and I'm basically only using edge.
Of course, this doesn't happen all the time, let's say approximately 1/4 of the times when I close the lid.

41 Posts

December 19th, 2016 10:00

The problem I reported is very simple : when I close the lid of my laptop (which then should enter "sleep" in "connected standby" mode), i'm not sure it will stop draining the battery. Sometimes (often), it doesn't and continue to pump the battery at the same level as if I was using the computer actively.

I tried to disable the "connected standby" sleep mode in the windows registry : it works but then there is another problem I will describe in another thread... so it's not the solution and we shouldn't have to do this.

5 Posts

February 26th, 2017 05:00

disableing connected standby helps -

see en.community.dell.com/.../19963459

13 Posts

December 19th, 2016 04:00

Hi, my XPS 13 9350 does not work properly too - sleep and hibernate does not work. DELL changed my motherboard - no change, problem persists. I tried to reinstall OS WIN 10 three or four times. Nothing. If I try to sleep or hibernate my XPS, power button LED if going off but I can not wake it up using mouse or keyborad, I must press pwr button, very annoying procedure being connected to external monitor..

13 Posts

December 19th, 2016 04:00

I think the problem started with new BIOS.....RISHI is trying to help to solve it....

489 Posts

December 19th, 2016 05:00

Does it go to sleep / hibernation / soft shutdown but wake up a few seconds later?

On the XPS 15 9550, such an issue was found to be caused by the "hibernate after" option in the advanced power settings. The computer would wake up in order to switch to hibernation, but that would fail somehow, and subsequent attempts to sleep / hiberante / soft shutdown would fail too (instat restart), until a hard shutdown (5 sec pwr button).

There were also reports of "fast startup" causing such issues.

489 Posts

December 19th, 2016 14:00

I though you might be having the same issue as I did. That your laptop actually tries to go to sleep but fails and wakes up two seconds later.

9.4K Posts

December 20th, 2016 06:00

Hi aloisloucka,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information that you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2gXXdDU

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2017 15:00

It worked for me, MrRoot, thanks!

Connected Standby, or Modern Standby, or InstantGo, depending on what term you use will normally consume about 1% of battery for every hour it is active.

The system should not be staying warm when the top is closed and if you want to know what is happening, run the command below in an Admin Command prompt or PowerShell.  It will show exactly what is using power in such a situation.

powercfg /sleepstudy

When the lid is closed the system should go into Modern Standby.  After the sleep timer expires, it will go into hibernation.  If you have the setting to let your system save power when it knows you are away, it will go into hibernation in about 30 minutes.  At least that is what I am seeing.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2017 15:00

It worked for me, MrRoot, thanks!

No Events found!