Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2017 14:00

XPS 13 9360 - "Waves MaxxAudio Service Application" consuming 30% of CPU while on Internal Speakers

I have the latest BIOS (1.2.3) and audio driver update (7989) and am having this problem. Not sure why. I can end the Service Application and the CPU consumption stops, but this makes it such that the Waves MaxxAudio software can't detect a headphone being plugged in. 

The huge CPU consumption only occurs when I'm using the internal speakers. No problem with CPU consumption if the headphone jack is used normally.

EDIT: I found one way to trigger the problem. USB audio is causing the problem. I can reinstall all the DELL audio drivers and it would work well until I plug in the first USB audio device. Then it starts messing up whenever I use the internal speakers regardless of whether or not I have a USB audio device plugged in. My headphones can't be detected at all after this.

34 Posts

April 22nd, 2017 20:00

hehe, You can see a more detailed post about this earilier in this thread. Have you tried this on any of the new Kaby Lake Dell Latpops (or aDell XPS 9360)? I'm sure it is the same on all of them I believe.

1) I've done a clean install. Latest Drivers off Dell, and latest drivers off realtek, do the same thing.

2) Seems the issue comes when you enter "Conversation Mode" type things.

2a) You can easily reproduce the issue with going to "onlinemictest.com" in either Chrome/IE/Edge. All do the same.

2a) I can also reproduce the issue by just starting a Skype Conversation (no webbrowser needed).

3) Yes the service polls registry values often. But as it says in my eariler post in this thread, once u enter that "conversation mode" the wves services goes nuts, and starts polling MILLIONS of registry values. about 100x more than any other service running at the time. And polls is VERY quickly. this is the reason for the 30% cpu usage.

4) Yes, there is presistant "popping" in the sound. Others experience this as well.

5) Nothing in Event Viewer, and yes I've done a clean install and a "dell format" as well. All the same.  If you have a Dell XPS 9360, (or other kabe lake maybe) just go to that site and check the Waves audio urself. If you are on an older system, then yes I haven't seen the issue with the older systems either.

34 Posts

April 22nd, 2017 21:00

Yes, build in mic and speakers, no external devices connected used. No the service doesn't go to 30% cpu during normal music playback. To me it looks like it's just "conversation playback" i.e. events which just use the mic and speakers. But with the online mic test, it only uses the mic and does it. For me, it's Skype that is the only main trigger that I use daily. But I see it do it with several different events (like the online mic test which is easy to trigger it).

I see you have a XPS 13 9365... I would be suprised if that doesn't trigger it...  Why not just go to "onlinemictest.com". Use whatever browser you like.  Go to the site allow it to use ur Microphone and open "Task Manager". If you do that you saying you do not see "Waves MaxxAudio Service Application" jump to 30% usage instantly?

I do have a Killer Wireless NIC in my machine. All the triggers for me require internet (Skype or onlinemictest.com). I never thoguht to think it was the killer wireless NIC... but I can test it by disabling the NIC and using my External Ethernet Adapter (cord plug in). I'll test that and get back to u.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2017 07:00

I am using the 9365 for this post.  I only have the Preview Skype application which comes with Win 10.

I checked the Microphone with the Echo service and heard it respond and the recording of my voice.  All worked fine and no CPU jump for Waves.

I check the web site you mentioned and never got the line to show voice activity, just the "waiting for Microphone" message.  I know how to do that but I want to check with you first.  It says I need to allow that site access to my Microphone.  That means it will probably install something on my system so I am wondering if that something could be related to your problem.

There is also an older test process which uses an older version of Flash.. Did you use that option for a test?

34 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 17:00

Hello Saltgrass. Ah the site just uses Flash to test the Mic. So nothing is installed or anything to run the Mic Test. Just the site needs permission to access the mic through flash. But yea no 3rd party stuff to install.

However, I just tested it with the Echo Test as well, and it also triggers the issue. I also have the "Skype Preview" App, which is a Win 10 UWP App. And calling the Echo Test does make the Waves Audio go to 30%...

So that is interesting if ur 9365 doesn't do that... Maybe the 9365 has a different Audio (sister board) than the 9360... I notice ur Audio Drivers are more up-to-date than mine on dell.ca, and mine specifically says "Realtek ALC3246" where urs doesn't say the chipset. I think we need another XPS 9360 to test... If there is an XPS 9360 which doesn't do it, then I have some stuff to figure out... Maybe I will go into a BestBuy and take a look at the Demo unit... But I assumed all the XPS 9360 do this...

EDIT: Also I tested it with disabling the Killer Wireless, and using the Ethernet Dongle. Same issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2017 18:00

If you are using the built-in speakers and microphone, you don't really need the Waves stuff.  In Task Manager you can end those two tasks to see if it makes a difference.  You will have to reboot to get them back unless you use something like Process Explorer, which will allow you to Suspend them.

I agree, I cannot rule out the 9360 as the culprit, but if that was the case, you might expect to see more folks having the problem..  You might check the properties on the speakers to see how they are configured as to priority software having exclusive use.

If you want me to try the Online Mic test, I will do that and watch what happens using Process Monitor.

And remember, I don't use or have ever installed Chrome.  I just checked my Inspiron 15 9567 and it does not show the Waves CPU usage either.

34 Posts

April 24th, 2017 16:00

Heys Saltgrass. Yea I would say that if it's not procing the issue on the Echo Test, then you don't have the issue on the 9365. No need for the onlinemictest.

I assumed everyone on the XPS 9360 has it... I seen about 5 or 6 people on the forums all with the same issue all with 9360's. It's just something you do not notice very much, since it only happens in "conversation mode" stuff (like skype or gtalk or converence calls). But most people who start talking with someone, won't realize a service using 30% cpu, since they are busy chatting with someone during the issue. Once it's over service goes back to normal, and the owner won't realize a thing if he looks at the process manager.

Only people who realize it's happening are gamers (like me) who skype or teamchat with some software during a game. Since while gaming you want as much CPU as you can for the game. And audio consuming 1/3 of ur CPU during a game is rediculous. So they notice it quickly. And other people who notice it are business people who do converence calls (or skype) a lot on the go. Since this 30% service is taking a lot of battery power while skyping with people. But yea other than those 2 situtations, which do not affect a lot of people, most people will not notice it at all.

But yea would be good to see another XPS 9360 user test the Echo Test or Onlinemictest, so I can make sure.

For now, as I said above, I have disabled the 2 services, does fix the issue. But locks the multiport to headphones only. It no longer can be used as a line in or microphone. But it works for my situtation.

Thanks again Saltgrass.

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 18:00

For what it's worth, I just went in to the device manager and updated the sound driver.  After updating that driver, I no longer see the high CPU usage on Waves when plugging in a mic

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 18:00

I have an XPS 13 9360 and, using the online mic test, I can confirm that I have the same issue

34 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 20:00

I also noticed this. It has been fixed. Thanks a bucnh Dell! :) There is still mild "poppy" or "crackling" noise from the audio, and sometimes the first audio sound is "lagged". But no more high CPU usage, which is amazing. If they fix those other 2 issues, all the major dell xps issues will be solved.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2017 16:00

Is this problem maybe related to this? I still have a CPU use of more than 30% when I log in more than one user on the XPS 13.

en.community.dell.com/.../19637126

No Events found!