Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2017 11:00

XPS 13 9365 BIOS 1.1.0 AND no boot

Earlier today BIOS 1.1.0 was successfully installed in the computer and now the system is constantly stuck at the boot logo. After 5+ minutes of waiting and waiting, I can get into the BIOS but navigating the bios is drastically slow. 

I have tried resetting the BIOS with no results. Dell online support does not seem to be available either. Chat is not available. Now have been waiting on hold to talk to someone for 45 minutes. 

Anyone else running into a similar issue? Any way to go back to the old version of the bios? 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 5th, 2017 05:00

My system did the upgrade, which took a very long time relative to bios upgrades on prior systems, and seems to be working normally.

The spinning logo may mean some driver is not installing correctly or some other task is not being completed.  If you can get into the Bios, have you tried resetting to the Bios defaults?  Make sure and unplug any external devices.

I have never done a Bios Rollback on this system so I have no experience in that area.  If you have made any unapproved modifications to your system you might try changing those back to recommended.

Have you ever had any issues prior to this with the system?

Can you run the diagnostics from the Boot Device Menu if you select F12 very early in the boot process?

9.4K Posts

December 5th, 2017 05:00

Hi sk309,

Thanks for posting.

Here is a solution from a user in another forum that may be helpful.

5 Posts

December 5th, 2017 06:00

Thanks Dell-Robert P for the suggestion. When I try to run the diagnostics after F12, the system reboots and comes back to the dreadful Dell Logo and gets stuck there.  I also have reset the BIOS to the defaults for both Factory defaults and BIOS Defaults with no success.

Other weird issues: If choosing boot menu, the list of boot devices does not show up (still stuck at logo). Also the Secure Boot cannot be enabled and it is Off from both the one time boot area or the BIOS area. 

Thoughts? 

9.4K Posts

December 8th, 2017 08:00

At this point, I would suggest contacting Tech Support for further troubleshooting.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 8th, 2017 12:00

Other weird issues: If choosing boot menu, the list of boot devices does not show up (still stuck at logo). Also the Secure Boot cannot be enabled and it is Off from both the one time boot area or the BIOS area. 

The Boot Device menu is normally accessed prior to the spinning logo, when you hit the F12 key are you seeing the note in the top right of the window?

It seems the spinning dots show up while the system is loading Windows and my take extra time if some driver is not loading correctly.

The Secure boot situation is a little strange.  Possibly the system is seeing something which will not pass the Secure boot test?

I don't know if your system configuration is the same as mine but I am running the latest bios and have not seen a problem.  My resolution is the QHD+ and I am currently running a PCIe M.2 500 GB drive.

December 24th, 2017 23:00

I've just had the exact same problem today... I found out the problem occur when I disable secure boot and selecting ACHI mode at the same time... With ubuntu 16.04 you don't need to disable secure boot anymore... So I enable it back and it fix the problem... I don't know if it a normal behavior but since Dell does not provide any reliable answer I just thought it could be nice to know! :)

No Events found!