Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 03:00

XPS 13 Battery Longevity & Desktop Mode.

I just got my xps 13 on march 9, 2013.  Today I received a battery warning:

Warning states:

Frequently connecting and disconnecting your computer to a power source without allowing it to fully discharge may reduce the longevity of your batter. Dell's Longevity mode will protect your battery by moderating the extent to which your battery will charge protecting your battery from frequent charge and discharge states.

I enabled the Longevity Mode as well as the desktop mode. Is there any conflict with either. 

Should I ever click the option "Charge battery to 100% one time" under the Longevity Mode Tab.

These options are new to me, and I would like to take the best care to keep my battery long lasting.

I also have Dell Intelligent Display in Battery Mode and Dell Extended Battery Life enabled under the Battery Status Tab

Thank you

943 Posts

March 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

The Desktop mode and Longevity Mode tabs are available only in Windows 8.

The battery operating time is largely determined by the number of times it is charged. After hundreds of charge and discharge cycles, batteries lose some charge capacity (battery health). A battery can show a charged status but maintain a reduced charge capacity.

The battery status on this system can also be found using the LEDs, which are located on the right of the system. Press the button located near the LEDs to check the battery charge. Each glowing LED represents 20% of battery charge.

DESKTOP MODE :

When a system is plugged in continuously, it may reduce the battery health. When the desktop mode setting is enabled, it protects the battery by moderating the extent to which the battery is charged, thereby maximising battery health. The display brightness remains the same as in plug-in mode. The battery only charges between 50-100% when desktop mode is enabled.
When the battery firmware on the system detects that the battery is charged in full battery mode for more than 2 weeks, the battery meter software pops-up a notification to enable this setting. If this setting is not changed, it will show the same notification in 2 weeks again.

• The default setting for desktop mode battery charge is OFF.
  • If the end user wants the battery charge back to 100% at any time, they can activate the setting by clicking the Charge Battery to 100% one time button. This will enable the battery to charge back to 100% from any capacity one time.
  • When an unsupported battery is installed, the options under desktop mode would be greyed out

LONGEVITY MODE :

When a system is plugged in and unplugged several times a day, it may reduce the life of the battery. When the longevity mode setting is enabled, it protects the battery from frequent charge and discharge cycles. The battery only charges between 88%-100% when longevity mode is enabled.
The system pops-up a notification based on user behavior.

• The default setting for longevity mode is OFF.
  • If the end user wants the battery charge back to 100% at any time, they can activate the setting by clicking the Charge Battery to 100% one time button. This will enable the battery to charge back to 100% from any capacity one time.
  • When the battery discharges to below 7%, the longevity mode gets disabled. The battery will start charging normally and will be able to charge fully.
  • When an unsupported battery is installed, the options under longevity mode would be greyed out.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Please let us know in case you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
 Prateek_K
 #iworkfordell

2 Posts

June 14th, 2013 19:00

Hi Prateek,

The Desktop mode and Longevity Mode tabs are available only in Windows 8.

I have both desktop and longevity modes for my Windows 7, Inspiron 14z ultrabook. I can even enable both modes simultaneously.

I usually use my laptop and plugin the adapter all day long. The battery status always shows "Fully charged (100%)". I seriously doubt that "The battery only charges between 50-100% when desktop mode is enabled" or "The battery only charges between 88-100% when longevity mode is enabled" is working properly.

Should I enable both modes together, choose either one, or it's useless to my battery health?

Thank you!

October 21st, 2013 14:00

I have both desktop and longevity modes for my Windows 8, Inspiron 15, 7000series, but the battery always indicates 100% charged, when plugged in, so I think these modes don't work!

December 26th, 2013 08:00

I have an XPS 15 with Windows 7 and I have the Desktop and Longevity mode options. Can a clear and precise explanation finally be given as to how these modes actually operate?

1 Message

January 4th, 2014 19:00

Hi Prateek,

I have XPS 12. I am trying to enable the desktop mode or longevity mode on my laptop but everything on the Battery meter is grey out. Is there any way, i can do that? or Is there anything from Windows 8.1 which enable me to limit battery charge?

Thanks

1 Message

July 17th, 2014 02:00

I have the same problem. I just got a xps 13 (9333) with windows 8.1 and I can't find a desktop mode anywhere. For a laptop with a built in battery this is quite a problem for me, especially since i got this laptop with all the highest specs to use as a general purpose computer. 

I don't want to have to keep running it on and off between AC and battery and putting the battery through all those charge cycles when it would be so much easier just to disable charging.

November 13th, 2014 02:00

I clicked on the "save battery" box that popped up (by Dell) to help maintain my battery. My screen is now so dark I can barely see it. How do I do this?

"If the end user wants the battery charge back to 100% at any time, they can activate the setting by clicking the Charge Battery to 100% one time button. This will enable the battery to charge back to 100% from any capacity one time."

Thank you,

Danielle Adkins

10 Posts

June 14th, 2015 08:00

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I've got a XPS 13-9333 which is running Windows 8.1.  My battery meter application has no options for Desktop or Longevity mode.

How to I enable those?

Thanks

Chris

10 Posts

June 20th, 2015 09:00

Ding dong...

Anyone home?

Chris

10 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 18:00

How does someone go about getting a response here?

Does no one watch these forums?

Chris

June 23rd, 2015 03:00

Dells customer service is terrible.

No Events found!