Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2012 23:00

XPS 13 Cypress Touchpad Windows 8

I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 Enterprise.  Everything went smoothly except for the touchpad.  I really liked how it functioned in Windows 7 but it seems that the driver for the Cypress touchpad is not compatible.  You must remove it before the upgrade and it cannot be reinstalled once Windows 8 is installed.  The touchpad functions but it has significantly less functionality than before.  Is there a beta driver for Windows 8 out that I can try?

50 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

Found a solution. Unpack the Dell package and run the INF files by right clicking and choosing Install. Do this for each one. Then run the following batchfiles that unpack from the driver package:

install_cyhid_x64.bat

install_cykbfltr_x64.bat

install_cymfltr_x64.bat

You can unpack the driver file by using a zip utility or the built in Dell unpacker. If I need to be clearer in any way or if this doesn't work for you, please let me know.

If you don't have the above batch files, here are the commands:

msiexec /qn /i cyhidmsi.msi

cydifxkbfltr.exe /i cykbfltr.inf 4

cydifxcmd.exe /i cymfltr.inf 4

cydifxmltr.exe /i cykbfltr.inf 4

cydifxmfltr.exe /i cymfltr.inf 4

In looking at the package for XPS 13, I'm seeing it is different but the INF files are the same as well as most of the package/app contents. I am on a XPS 15z, which is similar but has a less advanced trackpad. Try the above commands and see what happens. I do not have a XPS 13 to test with.

You will likely need to run an elevated command prompt from your trackpad package directory.

3 Posts

August 20th, 2012 09:00

+1 Need a driver for Cypress Touchpad for Windows 8 as well....  Please post here if anyone finds a generic or beta driver..  

I looked around on Cypress site and found nothing generic to use...  Synaptic on the other hand has Win7 generic drivers available that work mostly.

3 Posts

Did the Synaptic drivers work better than the default driver?

3 Posts

Sorry @jgardner I should have been explicit.. No the synaptic drivers dont work on the XPS 13.. they do work on a device that has a Synaptic touchpad. I have another notebook that has a synaptic touchpad and the win7 drivers improve the use significantly although not perfect.. Sorry for the confusion...

5 Posts

August 20th, 2012 21:00

I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 Enterprise.  Everything went smoothly except for the touchpad.  I really liked how it functioned in Windows 7 but it seems that the driver for the Cypress touchpad is not compatible.  You must remove it before the upgrade and it cannot be reinstalled once Windows 8 is installed.  The touchpad functions but it has significantly less functionality than before.  Is there a beta driver for Windows 8 out that I can try?

There doesn't appear to be at the moment, and Dell haven't been all that helpful when I've asked on Twitter (@Dell_Cares). They say updated drivers will only be released if there's an official upgrade to Windows 8 offered for the XPS.

I hope something happens soon though, the gesture support with the Windows 7 drivers in the preview was pretty nice, with only a couple of gestures not supported (slide from bottom, slide from top and rotate).

August 21st, 2012 09:00

Ive just upgraded to Windows 8 on the XPS 13 as well and having same driver issue with the trackpad, so +1 for an updated driver that can handle gestures.

Thanks

A

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

YES !!!   Thats worked !  I at least have touch click now and two finger scrolling !!!  KUDOS to daov2a !!!!!

I have the XPS 13 and I ran these from the C:\dell\Drivers\TP26N\Cypress\x64 directory and an elevated cmd prompt

msiexec /qn /i cyhidmsi.msi

cydifxkbfltr.exe /i cykbfltr.inf 4

cydifxkbfltr.exe /i cymfltr.inf 4

cydifxmfltr.exe /i cykbfltr.inf 4

cydifxmfltr.exe /i cymfltr.inf 4

Restarted the machine and BINGO !  Track pad...  Oh !! Looks like gestures are working as well !!! Four finger up and down...

August 23rd, 2012 00:00

Awesome,  tried the same thing on my XPS 13 and worked like a charm.   Thanks daov2a  :-)

50 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 06:00

Glad I could help!

How does two finger scrolling work for everyone? It really sucks for me after doing the install in the way I described. On a 15z of course.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 09:00

@dao2a it seems to work fine for me but I have not used it too much.  I have had an Arc Mouse connected for most of this week.  Will know tonight when I am on the plane for a while.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2012 18:00

It works, but there's obviously some compatibility issues. I've been running into jerky mouse movements when resuming from sleep, also on random occasions it will appear to bog down.

Uninstalling the drivers and going back to the MS supplied ones solves the issue but without the gesture support. So for the meantime, the drivers stay as the added gestures outweigh the occasional slow downs.

50 Posts

August 27th, 2012 18:00

How I fixed the jerkiness issue (may not work for all)

1. Create a new user or enable administrator. Either should be fine.

2. Log in as that new user

3. Go to regedit: HKCU\Software\Cypress Trackpad

4. Export the Cypress Trackpad tree and save it to a location your other account can access

5. Login as your normal account

6. Merge the reg file you just saved

7. Reboot

8. For me, scrolling and all other functions were immediately fixed and very smooth

Let me know if this works for anyone else. I can also possibly post the reg file I used. Not certain which setting in the reg settings actually fixed it but just know that installing with the method I described previously seems to not calibrate something correctly? In any case, hope this helps someone.

2 Posts

August 31st, 2012 12:00

I too have been suffering with the jerky mouse movement after resume from sleep. I have also had issues with the left-edge-swipe being detected when I haven't been near the left edge and the touch generally not being sensitive enough.

That said I have just resumed from standby and am not experiencing any such issues, so either it has magically fixed itself or it is an intermittent issue.

One thing is different, last time I had the issue I had a Logitech mini usb dongle attached. This time it wasn't attached when I resumed from sleep.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2012 14:00

Dell have now released A03 driver package for the Cypress touchpad which includes Windows 8 as a supported OS www.dell.com/.../xps-13-l321x

5 Posts

September 8th, 2012 17:00

It works. Seems to have lost a couple of gestures though. Swiping right no longer brings up the application list, need to 4 finger swipe up, 3 finger hold and tap to use the Alt-Tab switcher. 3 finger swipe now brings up the settings panel (which might be useful).

No Events found!