wyrmy
1 Copper

RE: XPS 13 Kaby Lake: coil whine

Jump to solution

@Pontios yes that is what I believe everyone understood as well.

The problem is Dell is not giving anyone any confidence because they are not acknowledging that there was a problem in the first place. There is a response to Situation 2 where noise is obvious but too many laptops are loud enough to be an issue for users but considered acceptable by Dell.

What is the use of an updated model if Dell is incapable of telling us what is acceptable to them and what their engineers are aiming to fix?

I'm done wasting time with tone deaf "technicians". Dell has indefinitely lost my business.

0 Kudos
axtom
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just got mine XPS 13 9360 two days ago. Annoying coil whine is present, hardware itself is great, but the annoying buzzing especially when you scrolling through web pages is not acceptable. So be warned is you want to buy it. Very disappointing that dell knowing about the issues in previous xps  edition didn't get it right again. I'll be returning mine. And here i hoped that DELL will have top quality.

0 Kudos
axtom
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry aykito, got mine 9360 two days ago, definitly annoying coil whine exists. I'll be returning mine. And there i hoped DELL is a top quality build.

0 Kudos
titankm
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My 9360 doesn't have hearable coil whine. you litterally have to put your ears on the keyboard to hear the noise.

0 Kudos
SpykeYs
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just received my XPS 13 9360...

I have a very strong coil whine I can hear 10-15 feet away....

I'm returning my laptop and this is the last ever product I buy from Dell. They have now lost my business..

This is a known problem for many years and still not fixed.. wow..

0 Kudos
Vegenaut
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yep! Exact same issue here. Received my brand new XPS13 today and immediately noticed the terrible coil whine. Worst I've heard on any computer ever. Unacceptable for a supposedly top of the line system, even if it *was* quiet. Which this is not. This was my first time trying Dell. Lesson learned! Will definitely be returning this first thing Monday.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Community,

I'm working on the issue over here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19992655

I have one capture so far that's going to be sent to our engineering lab. It's up to 3 weeks away though.

I could use another capture or 2 if anyone else wants to start a case with me for that.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
arekm
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

The problem is known for at lest 3 years in various XPS variants. Unfortunately each time Dell follows exactly the same path.

Gathering samples, testing and ... ending up with "whine is barely audible in office environment, so works as designed".

It happened with 15" 9530 XPS, 9550, 13" models etc.

If you are a customer and you hope that Dell will provide solution for the issue then stop dreaming. Dell history showed us that nothing gets fixed. All is documented on this forum. Just search a bit - tons of threads about this issue in last 3 years. No fix.

Here is example thread that was started 2 years ago with over 800 posts and the only Dell "solution" is: "works as designed".

en.community.dell.com/.../19992655

The _only_ true working solution is returning XPS and buying something else.

0 Kudos
orangedude
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just got a brand new Dell 13", top of the line specs, from Costco with this exact issue!  I updated all available drivers, windows updates, and bios firmware.  No luck...  I also notice the fan is revved even when there aren't any cpu intense things running.  I was just surfing the web reading about this coil whining noise.  After I shut down i realized how loud the fan(not the whining) was.  It's not as bad as the coil whine noise since it's a consistent hum.

0 Kudos
aerobuffetguy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this issue while researching the XPS 13. I bought one for my wife 4 years ago and, while it doesn't have sufficient connectivity ports, it's a great laptop and has never exhibited the coil whine issue. Curiously, I've looked at 3-4 Inspiron 13" laptops and none of them exhibits the issue. I'm no PC techie but it doesn't sound reasonable that the two machines would use different boards (but I'll that to the experts). The guy who posted about one purchased at Costco reminded me of a question that I wanted to pose. Does this issue affect all XPS 13 units or is it confined to only the touchscreen or non-touchscreen models?

I was sold on this model based on all other user feedback, the reviews and experience with my wife's XPS. Unfortunately, I'm now stuck. I need a laptop and I don't want to buy a second-tier unit but I can't afford the aggravation of having to return a unit because of the coil whine.

I agree with a previous post that Dell engineers have ignored the problem for too long. It's time to fix it and restore customer confidence in that particular product and in their fault analysis process.

0 Kudos