Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

October 23rd, 2016 09:00

XPS 13 L322X: battery capacity drop

Hi,

I have a dell XPS 13 L322X that I bought in 2013. Recently I bought a new cooling fan because the original one was very noisy. However, after replacing the cooling fan, I noticed that the battery capacity dropped to less than 10%. Therefore, I decided to buy a new battery. The problem is that the capacity/health of the new battery dropped to 75% in just a few days. I contacted the seller explaining him the situation and he sent me a new battery; however, the new one has already lost almost 50% of its capacity/health in just three days. One thing that I noticed was that the (second) new battery has an Energy (design) of 50,2 Wh whereas the original one and the first battery that the seller sent me both have 47 Wh. Another thing is that while I was calibrating the battery, in the first cycles, the battery was charged only up to 90% and that the capacity loss happens after a reboot: in the end of a cycle there is a decrease in the battery capacity after a reboot. After a reboot, the system shows the battery is fully charged, but with a decreased capacity. Every single cycle the capacity drops. The XPS 13 is running Ubuntu 16.04. Would you have any idea why that’s happening?

Many thanks.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 10:00

Sounds like you may be getting batteries as old as the original one - there's a date code on the battery you may want to check out (it's part of the Dell part number -- you can find out how to decode it online).

October 23rd, 2016 11:00

Thanks, ejn63. I'll check that out.

October 23rd, 2016 12:00

Hi ejn63. The date code of the battery is FW1, which means the year of manufacture is 2016 according to this link mikebeach.org/.../. The issue might be something else.

I like Ubuntu, but I'm thinking about installing windows to try the Dell Online Diagnostic Tool.

No Events found!