Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2016 23:00

XPS 13 - Quiet static noises?

Hello!

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 13 Touch a few days ago from Costco (online), and I'm really enjoying the laptop so far. An issue that I've encountered after a few hours of using this laptop was a quiet static-y noise on the left side of the laptop (the speaker side). I'm not sure where this sound is being emitted from. I have tried muting my speakers just in case it was an audio issue, but the static still prevailed. This "static" gets a little louder as my usage increases, usually by watching streams or playing games. Can anyone explain what this noise is, and if it's normal? Here is a video recording of the static noise, taken by my phone. You might have to increase your volume levels in order to hear it properly.

Thanks for reading,

Alex

June 12th, 2016 21:00

bump

June 12th, 2016 22:00

After doing some research on the issue, it seems that the majority of XPS 13 owners on this forum have this problem as well. This "coil whine" is very irritating and is begging me to return this laptop. Does anyone have a fix for such an issue? I'm not sure as to why Dell hasn't fixed a major issue that's been occurring for over two years..

1 Message

June 13th, 2016 06:00

I had the same issue. Got the motherboard replaced - didn't fix it. Got a whole new system - didn't fix it. I've just been told by dell that they will refund my purchase. Such a great machine but this is simply too annoying to live with. Good luck!

June 13th, 2016 12:00

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've contacted Dell support through email, hopefully we can fix this issue.

1 Message

August 15th, 2016 14:00

Any news from Dell support? I have the same problem and Dell already changed the main board and screen. Unfortunately the buzzing noise is still there.

August 16th, 2016 10:00

Hey, I went through two XPS 13 laptops before I finally decided to change to the Inspiron 15 7559. It's really sad because I enjoyed the display and design on the XPS 13, but I guess I just wasn't lucky with my devices. The Inspiron 15 7559 is about $700 cheaper (comparing the maxed XPS to the maxed Inspiron) - and comes with a 4K screen, an nVIDIA 760m GPU, and 128gb SSD + 1tb HDD. The specs on the Inspiron are superior, but is cheaper because of the build quality. Hopefully you can get your system replaced or purchase a different system.
No Events found!