Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2017 08:00

XPS 13 & TB16 - USB and peripherals randomly losing connection

XPS 13 9350 (i7 6560U, WQXGA+). TB16 240W. External monitor Dell P2415Q 4k, connected with full DP.

Notebook connected with TB16 with Thunderbolt 3. All external device (some USB, audio, ethernet, monitor, mouse-keyboard) connected through TB16. Works fine, but not for long.
Randomly ALL peripherals connected become inaccessible, except external monitor that is stay working. Fixed only after reboot.

All drivers installed, except USB ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller driver - any attempts to use dell drivers failed, it works only with standard windows driver. BIOS and thunderbolt firmware updated.
Turn on airplane mode does not help, as well as changes over Bluetooth power state.

532 Posts

April 18th, 2017 21:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We’re listening. We’ll try assist you. We definitely understand your concern without a fully functional system. The issues that you are currently facing might be due the devices turning off automatically to save power. Kindly follow the below mentioned steps and check if the issue re-occurs.

>> Type Device manager in the Search box and then click Device Manager from the returned list
>> Click to expand USB Root Hub and click the Power Management tab
>> Uncheck the option to “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” and click OK
>> Close the Device Manager

Also, share the following information via private message, so that we can check for more details. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

1. Service tag/ express service code
2. Email address
3. Registered owner’s name of the system.

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link http://dell.to/2olcgfG which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 05:00

I've got exactly the same issue, as described in this thread. Have you managed to resolve yours and can advise on the successful trick?

July 24th, 2017 01:00

Hello, Mikolajek. I`ve resolved my issue after full windows reinstall. That`s works fine, but not for long. Yet, two month later, i`ve updated this OS with June`s update, and then have another problem with waking up after sleep. 

I think, with this dock you cannot do something different, except connecting USB drives. >.<

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 25th, 2017 03:00

Yes, the BIOS update was the moment my own TB16 refused to operate. However, I downgraded BIOS back to 1.3.5 (even though not advised) and it didn't help. Looks like the 1.3.7 has some magic power of killing the docks... :(

At the moment I'm trying to open a support ticket with Dell, but they can't identify my dock on basis of the service tag. This is becoming a nightmare!

July 25th, 2017 03:00

..And finally, after XPS 13 BIOS update i think, dock station definitively broken. No USB, no video, audio, only charge.

5 Posts

July 28th, 2017 08:00

HI, I have the same problem after update the bios to 1.3.7 with my XPS 9360.

5 Posts

July 28th, 2017 08:00

HI,

I have the same problem after bios update 1.3.7 with me XPS 9360.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2017 14:00

I have the same issue after installing bios 1.3.7 with my xps 9360

2 Posts

July 31st, 2017 02:00

Same issues with 1.3.7 on xps 9360. Dock was working fine before the BIOS update.

Can't even use the mouse / keyboard when connected through the dock.

August 1st, 2017 10:00

I have similar issue, but less serious issue.

After BIOS update 1.3.7:

Keyboard / Mouse frequently hangs. It seems related to task managing as if I were wireless and lacking bandwith. If I listen to a video while at work, it happens every minute. If I close video, it happens less often.

But, I have been using the same setup since at least 5 months (XPS 9360, i7, 8gb, dual monitor, TB16) and never had any issue

If I plug USB peripheral direcly in laptop, the problem disappears.

So last week BIOS update and TB16 are not working fine.................. (those points are a clear exemple of what happens when usb keyboard hangs, I only pressed once)

Hope to have updates soon because I have other new laptops to deploy.

I tried uninstalling USB drivers, back-rolling to april drivers that worked fine etc, update everyting etc. Only the BIOS seems the problem

August 2nd, 2017 20:00

My system XPS13 (9360)+TB16 started showing this problem since upgrading BIOS 1.3.7 and device drivers released in late July '17. In my case the external displays are working ok, but the keyboard and mouse are very flaky and occaionally the Ethernet disconnects and reconnects.

On my system the mouse and keyboard problems seem to get worse when the (dock) Ethernet port is busy (e.g. downloading files or browsing web pages).

Sometimes the mouse or keyboard becomes totally unresponsive - resolved by disconnecting and re-connecting.

The optical USB mouse seems to be reset quite frequently - it has a connection LED that turns off and back on again regularly.

I have escalated the case to Dell support. After some discussion and reinstall of device drivers, they concluded the fix was to reinstall Windows on my system.

August 3rd, 2017 11:00

Just updated all 3 drivers from TB16 Support page (August 2nd). Issue is still present (every 30 seconds, my USB mouse and keybnoard hang, WIRED).

I kept BIOS 1.3.7, so I will plug my USB devices directly on laptop a bit longer, still waiting for updated drivers.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 4th, 2017 03:00

A new BIOS (2.1.0) has just appeared on the Support Downloads page! Has anyone has the chance to verify if it resolved the USB issue?

I can't do it myself as I shipped my dock for a repair :( - it looks it wasn't really necessary, if that's "only" a BIOS-related thing...

August 4th, 2017 06:00

Updated BIOS 2.1.0 manually and my issue is still there... It makes me sick, it worked for months.

August 4th, 2017 07:00

I updated my XPS 9350 BIOS to 1.4.18 - nothing changed, TB16 doesn't work.

No Events found!