Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2014 15:00

XPS 13 Touch Wake From Sleep problems

I got a new XPS 13 Touch in December, and it worked perfectly up until about one month ago. I recall it installed both Dell and Windows updates when my problems started.

I normally use my XPS 13 on AC power with external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I have problems waking from sleep via external USB keyboard and mouse. These fail to wake the laptop from sleep regardless of whether or not the lid is open or closed. I am also unable to wake to laptop by pressing keys on the laptop's built-in keyboard. Only the power button seems to wake it from sleep.

Also, after awaking from sleep, Outlook 2013 is unable to receive new IMAP emails. It doesn't give any error messages, it just fails to find new emails. Quitting and restarting Outlook fixes the problem.

To reiterate, these problems are new and only started about a month ago. The only change I am aware of to the PC are the installation of Dell and Windows updates.

I've checked the power management settings referred to in other posts. Hybrid Sleep is off and Wake Timers are disabled. The keyboard and mouse have "Allow this device to wake this computer" checked in Device Manager.

When I look at the USB hubs in Device Manager, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked, but the boxes on all the hubs that say "Allow this device to wake this computer" are unchecked, grayed out, and cannot be checked. Is that supposed to happen?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

3 Posts

May 29th, 2014 06:00

I am having the exact same problem.  I use my XPS 13 as a desktop replacement and shouldn't have to open the lid to press the power button to wake from sleep.  My symptoms and settings are identical.  I don't see an option in the BIOS either - not sure what version I am running.  I just received the computer about a week ago and am actually considering returning it if I can't get this sorted out.  

DAVEINSF - have you had any luck fixing this?

3 Posts

May 29th, 2014 12:00

No, I still have the problem. I can see that when the laptop goes to sleep, power is shut off to the USB hub. So of course the keyboard and mouse plugged into that hub are off, and will not wake up the laptop. In device manager, I turned off the check box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". But there is still no power going to my hub when the laptop is asleep.

I gave up and just disabled sleep mode in my laptop. I can see using a Kill-A-Watt that it only draws 10 watts when awake and idle (as opposed to 1 watt when sleeping), so I'm not too worried about excess power costs.

3 Posts

May 29th, 2014 12:00

I should also note that I am also unable wake the computer using the laptop's own keyboard.  Not sure if you had this issue also.  Have you tried phoning Dell Support?

3 Posts

May 29th, 2014 13:00

Same with me - my laptop's internal keyboard won't wake it up. I have not phoned Dell Support. If you do, and get a resolution, please post it here. Thanks!

3 Posts

June 4th, 2014 14:00

I have same issue.  I have called Dell support.  They insisted on re installing the OS and now they want to replace the motherboard.  

I'll let you know what happens.  

1 Message

June 11th, 2014 07:00

Hi guys,

I'm having the same issue. What's more, the status light on the front of machine doesn't 'breathe' when the machine is in standby.

It'll come out of standby when I open the lid as long as I do so within about 10 minutes. Otherwise I have to press the power button (built in keyboard and mouse don't work).

I'm getting a new machine shipped to me because of an unrelated issue with screen brightness in faulty displays. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.

No Events found!