Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 09-30-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 13 Ultrabook battery not charging

Hi My year old XPS 13 Ultrabook's battery is not charging when plugged in. I measured the voltage of the power adaptor at the plug (the end that connects to the Ultrabook) and the voltage level seem fine at 19.4V However when I plug and unplug the power when the Ultrabook is off, the LED turns on and off accordingly. My Ultrabook is L321x, running Windows 7, and has BIOS A7 installed. Does anyone have the same issue, and is there anything I can do to check what wrong? Thanks for any help Ka
Replies (53)
4 Beryllium

Hi kc.yyz,

I'm glad to know that the issue has been resolved. Please reply if you have any other questions.

Thanks & Regards
Amogh G
#iworkfordell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks, draining the battery and then power cycle did the trick. The ultrabook can now recognize the power adaptor and is charging. I was also able to upgrade to BIOS version A8.

4 Beryllium

Hi kc.yyz,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter and the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

Check the status of AC adapter in BIOS, follow the steps below:

• Restart or turn on your computer
  • As soon as the Dell™ logo appears, tap <F2> until the message Entering Setup appears
  • ‘AC Adapter’ will be listed under the Main tab, and it should be 45 Watt

If the AC Adapter is determined in BIOS, you can update the system BIOS to A08. You may download and install the latest BIOS from the link below:

http://dell.to/11hjGTf

Also, you can check the battery health from the ‘Dell Battery Meter’. The Battery Meter is used to check the status, life and health of the battery. To launch the Battery Meter:

• Click ‘Start’
  • Click ‘Control Panel’
  • Click ‘Power Options’ under ‘Hardware and Sound’
  • Click ‘Dell Battery Meter’

The battery status on this system can also be found using the LEDs, which are located on the right of the system. Press the button located near the LEDs to check the battery charge. Each glowing LED represents 20% of battery charge.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any other questions.

Thanks & Regards
Amogh G
#iworkfordell

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor