Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2015 13:00

XPS 13 Ultrabook battery not charging

My 18-month old XPS 13 Ultrabook just shut down as the battery was fully drained.  The 45W Dell AC adapter was not charging the battery and the white light on the AC adapter blinks on and off when attached to the Ultrabook.  The AC adapter stays lit solid white when unplugged from the Ultrabook, but blinks when plugged into the laptop.  

I can get the laptop to start up and run with another AC adapter however the battery does not charge when using the other adapter.  The front amber light blinks when the computer is running with the other adapter  The BIOS Main page indicates that the AC Adapter Type is "unknown" when being powered by the other AC adapter.

How do I get the Dell 45W adapter to work again and charge the laptop battery?

The battery health test says that the laptop battery is fine and operating normally, although it won't charge with the other AC adapter.  

Can I get the laptop to recognize the other AC adapter and have that adapter charge the battery?

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 16th, 2015 20:00

Hi Nekern,

The AC adapter or charging unit of the battery on the system board is faulty.You may have to replace the AC adapter or systemboard. If your system is under the warranty please private message me the service tag. If it’s out of warranty I would suggest you to replace the AC adapter as it costs less.

No Events found!