Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2016 09:00

XPS 13 Windows 10 Blue Screen with Dell Wireless 1560 Driver 7.35.333

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9343) that I have upgraded to Windows 10. This was fine for 6 months until december when the Dell Wireless 1560 Driver was updated from 6.30.223.262 to the new version of 7.35.333 dated 01/12/2015.

This driver is pushed out via Windows Update automatically and you cannot stop it. Once installed, the machine will blue screen frequently with "memory_management" errors. I have run all diagnostics and there is no issue with the memory. There is no issue if I roll back the driver to the previous version.

The problem is I have to disable Windows Update in order to stop it being forcefully updated. Does anyone else have this issue, and are there any fixes for it? I would like to be able to use Windows Update without having to perform a rollback on my wireless driver every time.

Thanks for any pointers,

2 Posts

April 29th, 2016 11:00

Yes same issue here and crickets from Dell as to when this issue will be resolved.

May 11th, 2016 08:00

Hey,

This may be premature but I think i've resolved it. Previously the only thing that was working was to roll back the wireless driver to the windows 8.1 version. However, I recently enabled windows update to get some of the new security patches (and got forced the new windows 10 wireless driver update again). I went to roll it back once they had completed but the rollback button was greyed out.  I then promptly blue screened.

Tried a ton of driver installs and upgrades and rollbacks and nothing worked (again).  So I reset my PC, but kept the files. Historically I had been rolling back fully to the OS that came on the machine... but this time I just reset but kept files and folders.

Upon resetting, the name of the wireless driver in device manager changed from "Dell Wireless 802.." to "Broadcom 802..". I have not blue screened since. I believe the issue is caused by the upgrade to Windows 10 with this specific hardware configuration. Doing a reset seems to clear the driver issue that was caused by the upgrade.

Hope this helps someone.

May 13th, 2016 03:00

I then installed Hyper-v 2 days later and it almost instantly blue screened.

Nothing I did (including uninstalling hyper-v) fixed the blue screens. The only resolution was a full windows 10 reinstall (as none of the reset or rollback options worked either).

Hyper-v does not play well on these machines (9343).

June 3rd, 2016 05:00

I had the same issue with this driver version when running client Hyper-V on Windows 10 1511. Mine stopped blue screening after uninstalling Hyper-V and then manually removing the virtual network switch adapters created by Hyper-V. Then it works with the version of the WLAN driver that you referred to. This laptop is great, but I've had a bunch of unusual driver issues with the WLAN adapter on Windows 10. Something weird happens with the WLAN adapter almost every time a new driver version is released. Some older driver versions wouldn't automatically connect to wireless networks on boot, for example, or it would drop out and refuse to reconnect until reboot.

Perhaps someone from Dell could advise on a solution that doesn't involve having to not use Hyper-V? I mean, this wasn't exactly an inexpensive machine!

3 Posts

July 4th, 2016 23:00

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9343) and it's running Windows 10 Pro. I started having the exact same issue after creating a virtual network switch in Hyper-V. My computer gets an immediate blue screen of death when I start doing anything that consumes more than a few MB/s of bandwidth over my Broadcom WiFi card.

I tried installing alternate Broadcom drivers which are older to see if it solves the issue. I've had no luck just yet. Hyper-V is supercritical for me to get my development done for work.

Has anyone managed to solve this issue?

July 5th, 2016 00:00

Hey,

The only way ive managed to get around it is by using VMWare instead of hyper-v for my virtual machines. I dont think this will help if you are running development emulators though. Although my emulators seem to work ok in VS.

July 5th, 2016 02:00

Hi. I tried all sorts of workarounds to the Hyper-V problem with this Broadcom adapter, as well as a bunch of workarounds to other problems with it. In the end, I solved all the problems by replacing the WLAN adapter with an Intel 7265 AC adapter. I understand that there's a version with and without Bluetooth, so be careful if you decide to buy one. It solved all the problems, cost less than £20, and took less than 5 minutes to do.

No Events found!