Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2017 15:00

XPS 13 black screen

I know this has already been asked. but there has been no solution so i must ask again

My xps screen turns black after the dell logo. It works if i plug it into an external monitor. But it doesn't recognize my laptop screen. My laptop only works if i disable the driver or boot it in safe mode. 

Please help dell. I didn't spend $1500 for a desktop. I need a laptop with a working screen.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2017 14:00

Unplug the system, remove disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Try powering up again - if you can't get an image on the screen after that, contact Dell to have the mainboard replaced.

8 Posts

April 28th, 2017 07:00

Same as your original post. After the Dell logo, the screen went black.  Booting into safe mode allowed the screen to function but at lower resolution without the GPU functioning. Then disabling the video driver  and booting normally also allowed the screen to function, but again without the GPU functioning. Any attempt to re-enable the video driver either in Device Manager or re-installing the video driver caused the screen to immediately go black.

I unplugged, removed the bottom panel, removed the battery, held down the power button for a couple minutes, then plugged in, started up and was able to enable the video driver without the screen going black. Then shutdown, put the battery back in, closed it up, and I haven't had the problem since.

My understanding is that this procedure drains accumulated static charge that can be interfering with proper functionality, in this case, presumably the GPU.  Safe mode worked because it doesn't load the video driver and thus doesn't use the GPU.

Unfortunately removing the battery on this laptop requires opening it up, which should be done with the right tools (torx T5 wrench and small phillips) and great care to avoid damaging. The service manual explains how this should be done.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2017 16:00

Hold the D key through powerup - do you see an alternating pattern of solid color screens (on the internal display)?

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2017 19:00

yes i do

8 Posts

April 26th, 2017 06:00

I have the exact same problem that just started out of the blue yesterday after a year of working just fine. Did you determine a solution?

8 Posts

April 26th, 2017 13:00

I tried installing the latest BIOS, chipset driver and graphics driver, in that order, but it did not resolve the problem.

144 Posts

April 26th, 2017 15:00

Delete graphics drivers in safe mode, or use the DDU app.

8 Posts

April 26th, 2017 17:00

Neither uninstalling in safe mode or using DDU solved the problem. Back to running with the driver disabled.

5 Posts

April 27th, 2017 00:00

I am sorry, I am confused. Can you explain what was wrong with it and what you did to fix it? Thank you

8 Posts

April 27th, 2017 00:00

I finally got my hands on a T5 torx and removed the back panel and then the battery and held down the power button for a minute and then another 2 minutes. Plugged in and restarted, re-enabled the Intel HD Graphics 520, and restarted and it booted with the driver enabled.  Then shutdown, put the battery back in, put the back on, and it continues to boot with the driver enabled. So it appears the problem is solved!

Reminds me why I usually prefer to buy laptops with easily removable batteries, as this is so often a necessary procedure. At Dell provides a good service manual to take the guessing out of it.

5 Posts

April 27th, 2017 20:00

Could you explain what would that step accomplish? How can it be a phyical hardware problem if the screen works in safe mode? Shouldn't it be a software/driver problem? Thank you.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2017 01:00

Hello xia,

Thanks so muck for your solution,  I've fixed it. Thank you again,

2 Posts

October 16th, 2017 01:00

Hello xia,

Thanks so muck for your solution,  I've fixed it.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2017 12:00

I'll add to the chorus that the battery removal solution really does fix the problem. There must be an inherent design flaw that causes it, but thankfully this works.

5 Posts

November 29th, 2017 07:00

I have to unfortunately update my post to say that the fix only worked for a week. It's now doing the same thing again and I can only work by disabling the display adapter in device manager. I'll check the video cable itself, but I'm fearful that it might require a motherboard replacement.

No Events found!