Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2015 13:00

XPS 13 display problems / screen goes fuzzy - after windows 10 upgrade

Since upgrading my xps13 L321x to windows 10, my display goes fuzzy/glitching/corrupted after a few minutes of use, you can still make out what's on the screen but its very fuzzy.  

Once it goes fuzzy, If I close the lid, and open the lid, then I'm presented with the login screen which looks ok again, and when I log on then the display is ok, for a couple of minutes

This started immediately after the windows 10 update.

Please help

10 Posts

October 16th, 2015 10:00

Following up my earlier post, I now seem to have this thing running more or less smoothly, without any display corruption since installing the drivers below (although I did get one TDR crash).

I am using the following driver versions, in case anyone else wants to give them a go (you can find them via Google):

Touchpad: 2.5.1.59

Display: 9.17.10.2817.

I thought I had tried all combinations of drivers before, but it turns out that (at least on my laptop) Windows 10 was upgrading the display drivers in the background even with "never install drivers from windows update" selected. The only way I found to get it to stop was to let it update, then roll back to the previous driver, then use the MS tool to hide the specific driver update that was causing the problem. I expect I will have to do this again as soon as they bring out another version...

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 02:00

I've had exactly the same problem.  no issue if connected to a monitor. It did this after upgrading to windows 8, and still does it on windows 10   I sent it off to get fixed under the extended warranty.  all they did was remove the windows 8.  I would love a solution.  very disappointed that the dell outsourced warranty  people couldn't fix this under the extended warranty as it is clearly a broader problem.

1 Message

November 16th, 2015 08:00

I had the same problem, but after fixing the trackpad issue (see another thread) the screen problem seems to have been solved also.

1 Message

January 6th, 2016 13:00

THIS WORKED FOR ME! THANK YOU!

9 Posts

January 21st, 2016 06:00

Experiencing the exact same issue

1 Message

March 15th, 2016 13:00

I am having similar issues with my display and also with my (cyprus) trackpad. I have found that changing the resolution temporarily fixes the screen issue. This is quickest done using the following steps

1. Show desktop (move cursor to the far end of the taskbar and click)
2. Right click on desktop and select 'Display Settings'
3. Select 'Advanced Display Settings'
4. Change from 1366x768 (recommended) to 1360x768 and press apply.
5. Leave the Advanced Display Settings window open.

This fixes it for me for a while, then the next time it happens I can just alt-tab back to the window, select 1366x768 and re-apply. Not a good fix but quicker than restarting/shutting.

A proper update is essential from Dell/Microsoft !!!!! Also - Microsoft's decision to put the resolution in 'advanced' settings seems patronising. Technology needs no more dumbing down.

1 Message

January 4th, 2018 06:00

Basically you need to change the graphics driver for an older version.

Windows 10 automatically installs one that causes the problem.

I have an xps13 L321x with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 display adaptor and win 10 installs driver version 9.17.10.4459 Date 19/05/2016

I uninstalled that and use driver version 9.17.10.4229 Date 26/05/2015 which is a win 7/8 driver and it works perfectly now.

You will however have to follow the instructions for stopping win 10 from automatically updating apps and drivers as it will keep putting the wrong one back.. System and antivirus updates will still happen as normal.

Heading over to Dell support, driver downloads and putting  9.17.10 4229 in the search box produces a slightly newer one with a date 12/04/2016 which I haven't tried!

Major windows 10 updates like the win 10 fall creators update will reset the system and allow automatic driver updates. So you will have to turn it off again. I also kept the driver file when I found it in my downloads folder for easy access as the downloaded driver file I use was not easy to find originally.

Well it worked for me.......

No Events found!