Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2017 09:00

XPS 13 laptops: which have glossy and which matte displays?

It is very frustrating that there is no official documentation on which models have glossy and which matte displays. They each have their pros and cons, but it should be made clear to the user which is which!

Can anyone please clarify? I'd suppose all the touchscreen models are glossy; but are all the non-touch matte? I saw in a store (John Lewis in London) a touchscreen and a non-touchscreen model side by side: the non-touch seemed matt because the screen had less reflection and acted less like a mirror, but I am not sure if it was an old, discontinued model or not.

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

January 25th, 2017 17:00

Is there a particular screen type you're looking for?

I know on the XPS line it can sometimes be hard to see on the web page to determine which is which, but if you click on "help me choose" under the display section and then the compare tab (here is an example at this link) it will detail the configurations available but you still might need to call into sales/chat if you do not see it clearly listed on the ordering section so that you can choose the specific display type you're looking for.

For example from the link I posted above you will notice if the system you want is a touch screen it will be glossy, however if you decide you do not want a touch screen there is an option to have anti-glare (matte) display. If the site does not make it clear though, I would recommend contacting sales for these options if they're not clearly listed (as mentioned). One last thing is if calling sales does not work, or you cannot see the system in person beforehand is to take a look at the Dell Precision line. The reason for this is because depending on model you will notice that there are options for systems that are similar to the XPS line and the page will clearly list if they are glossy/anti-glare on the web page making it a lot easier (assuming you did not want a touch screen on the system).

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Brad

January 27th, 2017 01:00

Thank you.

I was looking for matte screens. The page you listed is very useful, but I still do not understand why even that page does not mention 'matte' explicitly, nor why that page is so well hidden and these pieces of information are so hard to find!

I contacted Dell via chat and they told me that ALL XPS 13 displays are glossy, even the non-touch ones. I specifically asked them to double check and they confirmed again.

I wasn't convinced, so I contacted Dell again, and this time another chat agent told me that non-touch screens are matte. What on earth? If even the Dell people are confused, how is a customer to understand which is which?

No Events found!