Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

3 Posts

October 16th, 2015 01:00

Can confirm, new driver fixes the problem.

Go to device manager, right-click on Intel 5500, and update driver software.

Thanks Dell, but seriously, you really took unreasonably long on this one.

• 

351 Posts

November 5th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

We have found the cause of the flickering issue and have managed to create a driver that resolves the issue. Please install the latest driver on the support site - Version 20.19.15.4300, A02

Article with explanation

Driver that resolves the flicker

• 

351 Posts

December 7th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

I received an update this morning that the engineering team have found a workaround that should fix the issue until they can get the driver updated.

Please disable "display refresh rate switching" in Intel Graphics Control Panel>>>Power>>>Choose Balanced Mode>>> deselect Display Refresh Rate Switching>>>Click Apply

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 4th, 2015 22:00

Hi Sosinondodrore,

I would suggest you to install the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  3. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  4. Now select properties.
  5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then NVidia /AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

August 5th, 2015 05:00

I had to choose Windows 8.1 on the driver site to find the video driver, and that driver didn't even install correctly as the display adapter still showed "Microsoft basic display adapter" and not "Intel Graphics 5500". So i had to check the Intel site for the driver, which i found, but when i clicked download it redirected to a 404 site saying that it had been moved or removed from the site. And while i did this Windows Update chose to find the driver and install it, and it looks like it found the latest as the last 4 digits of the driver version matches the one on the Intel site that is meant for Windows 10. But it looks like the problem is gone, for now. If i experience the issue again i will post it here! So thanks for the help!

August 5th, 2015 13:00

Looks like it didn't help after all.. Found out i had to leave it dark for a couple of minutes (i locked the pc, let it go dark, then woke up the screen a couple of minutes later and the glitching was back, i took a video of it:  

And now i notice that it is a constant stutter every second in videos, on the live tiles in the start menu and pretty much everything else like scrolling on a browser, it's small, but a noticeable stutter. I also got a bluescreen just now with the message VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL while watching a video online.

UPDATE: I found the reason for the stuttering, it was a program called Flux (it makes the screen warmer at night, wich is a shame that that i can't use cause of the stuttering). So the stuttering is no longer a factor

2 Posts

August 7th, 2015 03:00

I do have the same problem with this laptop (XPS 13 9343 QHD Core i5) after upgrade to Windows 10. Even did a clean install, which doesn't seem te help. Also did a reinstall of the latest Intel video driver (with 4256 in the end), which disn't help.

Please advice

August 7th, 2015 09:00

I have the same error. Flickering display when change to a non native resolution. Just when I update to windows 10.

XPS 13

4 Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Same problem here. Almost seems like the connector is loose since it seems to get better when I physically adjust the screen angle. Once I get it to stay on it seems to stay on. pretty annoying though when you are in a rush and have to fiddle with the computer for 3 minutes.

August 7th, 2015 14:00

I have the exact same configuration as Sosinondodrore, and am having the exact same problem after upgrading to Windows 10.  The flickering is so bad that it renders the laptop unusable.  Generally, closing and then re-opening the lid will make it go away, but even then it sometimes lingers for a few minutes.

I do not have the application that Sosinondodrore identified as the problem installed on my laptop (in truth, I have very little installed on this laptop).

DELl-RAVI BC: before I try  your suggestion to uninstall the current driver and use the one from the Dell Support site, can you please confirm that you want me to install an *older* driver?  The one installed with Windows 10 is version 10.18.15.4256, while the one on your site is version 10.18.10.4013.  Please confirm that you believe this is the appropriate action to take.  If not, can you provide other suggestions?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 8th, 2015 10:00

Hi Sosinondodrore / Xpshome / dragon_phoenix / tkuhe / PCofInterest,

I would suggest you to check if the issue reoccurs in the safe mode.

Also, please check if there is any facial recognition application or Norton antivirus is installed

August 8th, 2015 19:00

I booted in safe mode and am unable to reproduce the problem there.  However, it's not really a valid test, as the screen does not turn off automatically (after x minutes) as it does in normal mode.  And for me, the only time the problem surfaces is after the screen has turned off automatically and is then turned back on.

I also tried disabling all startup items as shown in the task manager Startup tab and rebooted in normal mode.  The problem is easily reproduced in that state.

Finally, I do not have any facial recognition software installed (unless there is some as part of Windows 10 that I am unaware of), nor do I have Norton antivirus.

What's next?

4 Posts

August 9th, 2015 04:00

Hi Ravi,

My Dell XPS 13 suffers the same problem.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers. I even did a hardware analysis on the website provided.

All my drivers are up to date. I can not be Booting windows in safe mode all the time.

The same issue occurs on sleep and wake up. The screen starts flickering terribly and is affecting my daily use. This looks like a display driver issue. Please do help out.

Thanks,

Arun

August 9th, 2015 13:00

I would also like to point out that this is more than just a "visual" flicker problem.  It appears as though the screen is being rapidly reconfigured when the flicker occurs.  I say this because I've noticed that if I have a window open when the flicker occurs, and that window is sized to be nearly as tall as the screen, after the flicker it gets resized to a much shorter window.  Windows also get moved around on screen....as if the resolution is changing.

This is a really nasty problem....I hope Dell can help!

23 Posts

August 10th, 2015 20:00

I too have the same exact problem and have even posted in other forums but cannot find an answer. Why isn't Dell working on a fix for this or even Intel if its a driver issue. I've re-installed windows 10 more than 3 times including a totally fresh install. I also have the latest video driver which doesn't make any difference. It was running GREAT on Windows 8.1....should have waited to upgrade. One more thing....anybody have a slight vibration sound from the speakers now with the OS update?

No Events found!