Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

4 Posts

August 10th, 2015 20:00

Hey MrStrode,

Would contacting customer care help by any chance? Because I'm getting sick of this issue.

For temporary fix, see this thread though. 

en.community.dell.com/.../19646901

Using the touch screen only might help.

And nope, no issues from speakers from my xps 13.

23 Posts

August 11th, 2015 03:00

I too have the same issue.  Latest Intel driver 10.18.15.4256 does not help.

BIOS: A05 and all other drivers and updates are installed.

Could it be faulty / failing hardware?

August 11th, 2015 14:00

What do you mean by vibration MrStrode? My speakers too is making a vibration noise when i play music or watch a movie with a little bass on about 50% volume, it sounds like the speakers are blown. And the vibration is especially noticeable when i boost the bass in the Dell Audio application with the "MaxxBass" slider.

August 11th, 2015 14:00

I contacted Dell Support at Friday and the a guy updated my Chipset and Video Driver to the latest and told me that he would call me back to hear if it had been fixed. The problem is still there, so i don't know what this can be, my guess is a bad driver so i hope Dell fixes this soon.

August 11th, 2015 16:00

It does look like the problem is associated with the touchpad, cause the glitching stops when i touch the screen and it "activates" touch mode or something, and when i use the touchpad again the glitching comes back immediately. This was pointed out by APrasad91 with this link:

en.community.dell.com/.../19646901

23 Posts

August 11th, 2015 19:00

I'm about to contact customer care but after seeing that this topic is only getting the same "canned" answers from Dell employees I feel it is just a waste of time. My XPS worked great with Windows 8.1 so it has to be a software or driver issue. We'll see if Dell fixes this soon. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 12th, 2015 01:00

Hi PCofInterest,

I would suggest you to install the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.

2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

3. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.

4. Now select properties.

5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then NVidia /AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2015 07:00

I'm seeing a similar issue with an Inspiron 14R after a Windows 10 upgrade.  Trying to determine if it's the same issue being chased here.  I see flickering and I also have gotten vertical lines on the screen. I have the latest video drivers also.  One thing I've noticed that isn't mentioned is that I only see this when running on battery power.  If the AC is connected, video is rock solid.   Is this symptom consistent with the issue being discussed here?  I beginning to suspect that my issue may be power management related.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2015 07:00

Dell doesn't supply Windows 10 drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 5500 in the XPS13, only for Windows 8.1. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 12th, 2015 22:00

Hi Sosinondodrore,

Please try steps suggested to PcofInterest of uninstalling and reinstalling the video card driver for issue resolution.

23 Posts

August 13th, 2015 02:00

Hi Ravi,

I think you can assume we have all tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

This does not help.

Please, forget 1st line support questions and elevate this issue to 3rd line support.

Regards,

Boyd

23 Posts

August 13th, 2015 02:00

Hi bwbatchler,

For me, the issue is present regardless of being on mains or battery.

It may, however, be related to power and therefore affects your model differently to ours.

Boyd

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 10:00

Same here,

tried both upgrading/uninstalling video drivers, running DELL driver update tool, which updated BIOS and chipset drivers.

Results are all the same: screen keeps flickering.

Hope it is not hardware issue and it won't be necessary to replace my laptop =(

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 05:00

Mine also have the same issue. BTW my is new laptop only few days.

August 14th, 2015 13:00

I've noticed the same thing.

No Events found!