Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 15th, 2015 08:00

Hi Xpshome,

Please use the link below to download and install the Video card driver from Intel website.

http://intel.ly/1DeQbVL

Please let me know if this helps.

August 15th, 2015 17:00

For all those suffering with this flickering problem on the XPS 13 after upgrading to Windows 10:

With the help of Dell technical support, I have found a work-around that has, thus far, completely eliminated the flickering problem.  You need to change a BIOS setting:

1. Reboot your laptop
  2. Repeatedly press F2 as soon as the Dell logo appears on screen to enter BIOS
  3. Navigate to the Performance section
  4. Select C-State Control, and disable (uncheck) it, exit and reboot

This has completely stopped the flickering problem for me.  However, I consider this a work-around only (not a fix), as C-States are used by Windows to better manage power and I suspect there will be side-effects of turning this off (such as reduced battery efficiency).  But, it's a big improvement until there's a fix.

For the record, I am still using the graphics driver that was installed with Windows 10 (version 10.18.15.4256).

If you try this change, please post back to let the rest of the community know if it works.

DELL-RAVI BC: Please do your homework.  The Intel link that you posted installs the same version of the display driver that we all already got when we upgraded to Windows 10 (10.18.15.4256).  I know the entire package has a different version number from Intel (15.40.4.64.4256), but if you look at the package contents you'll see that it includes the same version of the driver we already have.

August 15th, 2015 20:00

After 10 minutes of usage or so, I can report that the new driver did not solve the problem. It does not flash upon returnning from sleep when the laptop is closed, but if the laptop scfreen shuts off due to non-usage, it will flash after receovering from that.

August 15th, 2015 20:00

I tried installing the driver update suggested by Dell-Ravi BC at 8:31am on Aug 15. It has worked so far.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2015 14:00

+1 having the same issue here since updating to Windows 10. I am running the latest driver from Intel website 10.18.15.4256

Going to try the BIOS option suggested earlier "disable C state under performance"

16 Posts

August 17th, 2015 12:00

Hey at last, it worked! Disabling C-State in BIOS appears to resolved the issue!

After searching, reading, watching YouTube videos about this issue since upgrading to Windows 10 for more than 2 weeks, the BIOS work-around seems to solved the flickering problem!

Normally it's easier to reproduce the flickering.  just close the lid, wait for about a minute, then re-open the lid, and the flicker will start right away.  Although on my Dell XPS 13 (Microsoft Signature Edition - Windows 10), the flickering will stop after about 15 seconds upon logging in.  I also saw a video that the flickering is not OS related, as one Dell XPS flickers even on boot up selection or even in BIOS.  I'm not sure about this though, but might be true as I already tried various Dell and even generic Microsoft video drivers. I'm on the latest Intel HD Graphics 5500 version 10.18.15.4256 driver, and on max 3200 resolution.

So after disabling the C-State in BIOS, I have not encountered a flickering anymore.  Tested closing/opening the lid, pressing the power button to sleep, shutting down & restarting, manually sleeping, etc. ... no more flicker!

Researched on C-State and found something about power optimization on Dell 11G servers.  Refer to "crtech.tips/performance-mode-bios/" and talks about disabling it on the server to resolve a slowing server.  So maybe it's doing the same for XPS as "the system can get stuck in a low power state and cannot properly adjust when heavy load is applied to the system. This could cause the entire system to halt, slow down to unusable speed, and report CPU IERR errors."

This could be a firmware issue. I will keep an eye on Dell firmware releases. Will report back if the issue pops up again.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the clarification, BOYDERAMA.  I found a solution to my issue and posted it elsewhere (en.community.dell.com/.../20809105), since it seems to be something else.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2015 12:00

Thanks,

Followed your suggestions and it seems to be working. I understand that there are different C-State Levels, each one lowering the power consumption of CPU. Recovery time coming out of sleep mode to 100 percent CPU recovery could be what we are experiencing with the Flickering?

August 18th, 2015 14:00

I am having the same exact problem and it started after upgrading to Windows 10.  With 8.1 this thing was solid as a rock, now with 10 I am afraid to close it.  The only thing that "fixes" it is a restart and not closing the lid.   *** Dell? 

23 Posts

August 19th, 2015 05:00

Thanks everyone for suggestions.  Disabling C-State does stop the screen flickering / resizing rapidly.  Dell need to correct this fault otherwise having C-State disabled will greatly reduce battery life.

Fingers crossed :)

1 Message

August 19th, 2015 20:00

I don't see that option anywhere in my BIOS.  I'm running A08.  What version are you on?

5 Posts

August 20th, 2015 04:00

This is affecting the XPS 13 (2015) edition which I believe the most recent BIOS is A5.

I have also turned off C-State in the BIOS and can confirm that the flickering has stopped. We need a proper fix for this now.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2015 13:00

After trying a lot of different things with no result, disabeling C-State Control did eliminate the flickering problem completely (also xps13 win10).

Thanks for this solution!

By the way: I do notice that my battery time has reduced significantly. 

3 Posts

August 26th, 2015 00:00

Same problem here.

Using last drivers installed by Dell People and still happens.

I Will try the "disable C state under performance" hoping there will not be an important battery loss.

Dell, do your homework

2 Posts

August 26th, 2015 09:00

Downside is reduced battery time. My first guess: about 20%

No Events found!