colion
1 Copper

RE: XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Jump to solution

Spoke to Tech Support about the C-State route and subsequent reduced battery life.  I got a shoulder shrug and advised to go back to Win8.1.  Now that's a solution!

0 Kudos
colion
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Initially, I disabled C-State as discussed by PCofinterest.  That worked but reduced time available on battery. Then I installed the chipset (Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE) noted by MarkMessinger and everything was OK. Then I enabled C-State and everything was still OK and battery usage was back to normal.  So, the chipset without modifying the BIOS appears to be a good solution.

0 Kudos
Ian Zarzuela
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I verified this as correct and resolved the flickering issue.

Although I already downloaded the same file (Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE) a few weeks ago after upgrading to Windows 10 to update all the drivers, I noticed the file size is different from the one currently listed in Dell.  The previous one is 92MB, and just to give it a try, I ran it again, it didn't installed.  I'm thinking it was not compatible with XPS 13, just like other drivers listed.  But I tried extracting it instead of installing.  The extracted folder came up empty. So I grabbed the file again from Dell support site, downloaded file size is 106MB, ran it, installed fine this time, reboot the computer, press F2, enabled C-State, reboot again, flickering is gone!  Sent to Sleep, opened lid, no flickering. Closed lid, opened, display's fine.

Finally, a real solution to the flickering issue.

Here's the direct link... 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=KFR45&fileId=3476633236

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ian Zarzuela
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Update:

Looks like the flickering came back.  I closed my XPS13 lid, then re-open it after about 10 minutes, after I logged in, it's flickering again!  I normally pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del, clicked on cancel, and flickering's gone.  Not good, will have to test some more.  Sorry guys, but please try it on yours and post the results here.

0 Kudos
colion
1 Copper

Jump to solution

IanZ, starting with the condition in my post above (8/28 - 9:51 pm) I closed the lid for 10 minutes and no problem.  Also forced sleep via power setting and again no problem.  The chipset download that I obtained (see listing below) was 104 MB and got it through the driver download support with Dell's detect program.  

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer DriverView details
0 Kudos
Ian Zarzuela
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes its the same file I downloaded and ran. After last night recurring issue, it's still happening today. I took a video and will try to post it here.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I would suggest you all to enable the C-State Control in the BIOS and download the latest video driver using the link below to check if this fixes the flickering issue on your Dell XPS 13.

Download Video driver

Note: The video driver is labeled incorrectly as Network Driver please ignore it.

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
Ian Zarzuela
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Ravi,

The file name is 9343_Network_Driver_TJN9R_WN32_10.18.15.4240_A00.

When I ran it, it shows:

I clicked "Install"... afterwards, it is showing:

I selected "No" for obvious reasons.

Please explain.

Jump to solution

Hi Ian zarzuela,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Press Windows Key and Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapter listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver on the system using the link provided om my previous post.

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
HeikoMa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I use Diver HD v4240 but doesn't fix the flickering 😞 

Dell please fix the Problem now!!!