Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 4th, 2015 00:00

Hi Ian zarzuela,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Press Windows Key and Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapter listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver on the system using the link provided om my previous post.

Please let me know if this helps.

16 Posts

September 4th, 2015 09:00

That is why I did not continued the installation and will not follow Ravi's suggestion because he already recommended this on other thread and did not fixed the issue.  Prior to Intel HD Graphics 5500 ver 10.18.15.4256, it's already happening with 10.18.15.4240 (filename 9343_Network_Driver_TJN9R_WN32_10.18.15.4240_A00.EXE).  Both versions  did not fixed the flickering issue.

Additionally, the Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE that  was also recommended did not resolved the flickering.

So far disabling C-State is the only workaround, but will greatly reduce the battery life.

So yes, Dell.... please fix the problem now!!!!

20 Posts

September 4th, 2015 09:00

I use Diver HD v4240 but doesn't fix the flickering :-( 

Dell please fix the Problem now!!!

16 Posts

September 4th, 2015 18:00

I'm taking back what I said.  

I noticed the video driver on Dell's support site (filename 9343_Network_Driver_TJN9R_WN32_10.18.15.4240_A00.EXE) is updated on Sept 2, 2015.  So I followed Ravi's instruction and it did resolved the flickering issue.  Fully tested the way I'm always having the error - pressing power button once to go to sleep, then waking up after 10 minutes, closing the lid, powering off, etc. and no more flickering for me.

Thanks Ravi, you should have mentioned that the lower version 4240 has been updated and not to use the higher version 4256.

Now this XPS13 can now wake up peacefully from sleep and not having a flickering nightmare.

Signing off.

23 Posts

September 5th, 2015 01:00

I'm taking back what I said.  

I noticed the video driver on Dell's support site (filename 9343_Network_Driver_TJN9R_WN32_10.18.15.4240_A00.EXE) is updated on Sept 2, 2015.  So I followed Ravi's instruction and it did resolved the flickering issue.  Fully tested the way I'm always having the error - pressing power button once to go to sleep, then waking up after 10 minutes, closing the lid, powering off, etc. and no more flickering for me.

Thanks Ravi, you should have mentioned that the lower version 4240 has been updated and not to use the higher version 4256.

Now this XPS13 can now wake up peacefully from sleep and not having a flickering nightmare.

Signing off.

Didn't make any difference with mine.

6 Posts

September 5th, 2015 03:00

Installing 10.18.15.4240 has NOT solved the issue for me.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 5th, 2015 07:00

Hi MrStrode,

As suggested previously please uninstall the previous version of video drivers from your system and then install the video driver from the link below.

Download Video driver

Note: The video driver is labeled incorrectly as Network Driver please ignore it.

Please let me know if this helps.

Ian Zarzuela,

It’s good that issue is fixed please continue to use it let us know if you have any other queries.

8 Posts

September 5th, 2015 15:00

Well changed driver by following Ravi-BC instructions by deleting current driver and loading 4240 Sept 2, 2015 version. Checked and confirmed by using devmgmt that 4240 had been installed.

However I discovered that 4240 was changed back to 4256 version automatically.

How to you stop this change occurring.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2015 19:00

The new driver informed by Ravi-BC also seems to have fixed the issue for me (haven't run extensive tests, though). In order to install it, I first uninstalled 4256 using Device Manager and, after it was uninstalled (and the display driver was reverted to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter), I installed 4240 provided by Dell.

However, just as noticed by gbdillon, version 4240 is upgraded to 4256 automatically. This happens because of the new behavior of Windows Update in Windows 10, which is set to also update drivers. After downgrading to version 4240 provided by Dell, Windows Update detects there is a newer version available (4256) and automatically installs it. Dell needs to release a version with a higher version number than the latest one available (4256), otherwise Windows Update will keep upgrading it.

Another display issue I noticed after upgrading to Windows 10 is that if you vertically move the mouse in a webpage full of text lines (move it fast through all lines of my post, for example), you will see a small and thin horizontal line right next to the cursor being shown every time the cursor moves between one line and the other (the moment the cursor changes from a beam to an arrow). Anybody else can reproduce this?

2 Posts

September 7th, 2015 11:00

Ravi -- Uninstallation of 4256 followed by installation of "updated" 4240 does NOT solve the problem.  The problem disappeared for about 24 hours and then returned.  And no, the 4256 driver was not automatically re-installed during the interim (following Microsoft's instructions of preventing automatic reinstall of bad drivers).  The problem actually seems much worse now.  Disabling C-States as a contrived solution results in the reduction of battery life from about 11-13 hours down to 4-5 hours.  This is not acceptable.

Look, I purchased this laptop for my wife specifically because it claimed to have inordinately long battery life AND a brilliant display.  Having to choose between battery life (by enabling C-States) and an enjoyable display (by disabling C-States) is not why I paid $1,200 for this machine.  Having you engage retail purchasers as beta-testers for your systems, and for your "suggested" fixes is absurd.  Dell needs to (1) acknowledge that there is a problem here, (2) acknowledge that disabling C-States and dramatically reducing battery life is not what retail purchasers of this very expensive laptop bargained for, (3) acknowledge that your suggestion of uninstalling and installing misnamed drivers does not fix the problem, (4) actually develop and post an actual solution for this problem that you have tested and know will work.

You have only a short time in which to do the foregoing.  My time to return this machine to the Microsoft Store runs out in a few days.  If I do not have a solution that I can test and be certain will work within a couple of days then I will return the laptop as unusable.  I also will suggest to Microsoft that they may want to stop selling this laptop at their stores since is being misrepresented as having long battery life AND a brilliant display. 

8 Posts

September 7th, 2015 12:00

I found the following info online that outlined how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating driver upgrades. This has been an issue when trying to install Display driver -4240 from reloading -4256.

"Microsoft Windows 10 automatically installs updates and device drivers via Windows Update.

However, Windows 10 users can choose to opt out of driver updates, which sometimes results in system instability.

How to manually block device driver updates on Windows 10?

Step 1: Navigate to Control Panel within Settings.

Step 2: Click on System, in the Control Panel.

Step 3: After the System Properties window is launched, click "Advanced System Settings" located on the left hand side of the screen.

Step 4: In the Advanced System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab and select Device Installation Settings.

Step 5: When in Device installation settings, select "No, let me choose what to do" and "Never install driver software from Windows update".

Step 6: Save the selected preference and restart the system.

The system drivers will now stop automatic updates and users will have to manually install drivers for any new hardware that needs to be interfaced with the system."

Hope this helps in keeping 4240 loaded as recommended by other to eliminate flickering.

September 7th, 2015 15:00

4240 does not fix the issue, so the ones that say it does should test a little bit further. What do is i lock the pc and let the screen time out (takes about 1 min) and then wait a minute after it has gone dark, then i wake it up with the touchpad and unlock the pc.

It has gone a month now, Dell should really bring a fix soon. This is after all a premium product.

19 Posts

September 7th, 2015 15:00

For those who are still struggling with the sleep-flicker problem have you tried the verified answer by MarkMessenger to install the Chipset Driver?  Solved the problem for me since the solution was posted without using the previous verified answer of changing the C-State which adversely impacts battery usage.

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE

20 Posts

September 8th, 2015 00:00

please Dell fix the Problem!!!

3 Posts

September 8th, 2015 04:00

When can DELL fix this issue ???

No Events found!