Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

2 Posts

September 8th, 2015 12:00

Colton - The Intel Management Components Installer Driver was the first fix I tried a few weeks ago. It did not work then, but your post prompted me to try it again after Ravi's insistence on uninstalling and then reinstalling the older graphics driver proved to be a waste of time. I'm sorry to report that, after uninstalling and reinstalling the Management Components driver, the problem persists unless C-States is disabled. So, the only "fix" that works on my wife's new laptop thus far is disabling C-States, which appears to cut battery life about in half.

19 Posts

September 8th, 2015 15:00

Foodlady, others report that they had a problem downloading and installing the Chipset.  I also had a problem and had to try several times (finally got it to work at night).  At least in my case when it downloaded properly it was 104 MB in size otherwise the size was both larger and smaller.  The 104 MB file installed OK and then I turned C-States back on.  Have had no problem for several weeks.  Was the file that you downloaded 104 MB (as I recall this is the size listed on Dell's download page)?  I think that this is important.  Rather amazing that Dell cannot provide a download that everybody get OK (maybe something screwed up with their server?).  I also have HP computers and they download and install driver updates automatically without a hitch.  That's about all that I know - Good Luck!

6 Posts

September 10th, 2015 04:00

I deactivated automatic driver updates as described in this thread!

I deinstalled 4256 'deleting software of the Driver' until 'Basic Microsoft Video Adapter' appeared - than restarted and installed 4240 which is flickering a lot less but on the other hand has sometimes problems to wake up from sleep and when it does the UI size adaption and video acceleration is gone so I have to reboot

This morning there was more flickering again and I checked the driver and 4256 was installed AGAIN without me doing nothing.

I also installed the chipset driver (made sure it's 104MB). Installation went flawless. It's seems to be better but not perfect.

To test you can change energy settings so closing the lid will NOT put the laptop to sleep. It needs to sleep at least ones before it starts happening - then just close and open the lid several times.

Released today - driver version 10.18.15.4279 (package 15407.4279) – looks good for the moment.

Download here->

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10

1 Message

September 10th, 2015 06:00

i had this problem 2 times, It makes me really angry

16 Posts

September 10th, 2015 07:00

I thought my problem was resolved, driver is always installing 4256 even after disabling/blocking automatic update of drivers in advance system hardware setting.  And flickering goes back, but tolerable as it goes away after about 5 seconds, sometimes just after logging in.

Then I installed the Intel driver mentioned by redbird71 above, video driver is now Intel 10.18.15.4279 dated 8/24/2015.  Afterwards, flickering get worse and takes longer before it settled down.

I followed everything that was mentioned in this forum to resolve this issue, some will trick you that it has been fixed but after some time, it'll get back just like the Terminator.  

For now, I will disable C-state until this has been resolved.  This is only a workaround as it affects battery life.

DELL, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

20 Posts

September 12th, 2015 13:00

When will dell finally solved the problem?

3 Posts

September 13th, 2015 03:00

Lets post it to facebook !!! Or else they wont take it serious ..

2 Posts

September 14th, 2015 02:00

Please also hit their twitter account. @DellCares I'm talking to them now and they're suggesting that I do a clean install, when all of you guys have already said that it doesn't change anything. It is September, this is ridiculous. 

5 Posts

September 14th, 2015 03:00

I've update to the latest Intel Driver released a few days ago (from Intel website, not Dell) and so far, the flicker has gone

"driver version 10.18.15.4279"

I take that back - it has started flickering again with the latest Intel Driver .4279

20 Posts

September 14th, 2015 08:00

When will dell finally solved the problem?

6 Posts

September 14th, 2015 10:00

I can confirm that driver 4279 (from Intel) does not fix the flickering for me. 

11 Posts

September 14th, 2015 11:00

hello

same issue here, not flickering, but after sleep hw accelleration goes and all is laggy,need to shutdown with power botton

also battery life is halfed tha wn 8.1

no dell official answer????

7 Posts

September 14th, 2015 11:00

Does not work for me. Changing the C-State seems to help.

8 Posts

September 14th, 2015 12:00

Does a XPS 13 9343 with a Dell Factory installed Windows 10 have the same flickering problem?

11 Posts

September 16th, 2015 14:00

new drivers on dell support

No Events found!