Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

19 Posts

September 26th, 2015 06:00

Yes, I also show that the Chipset is still needed.  Dell's update checker is obviously a bit screwed up as Intel's checker says no update is needed after installing the Chipset.  I suspect that the problem is that according to Intel "after an operating system install only the INF files needed to recognize the product names in Device Manager will be installed".  Perhaps Intel's checker is smart enough to see that you only needed the INF file and Dell's is not.  In addition, I had to download the Chipset several times until I got the specified file size so getting a good download from Dell's server seems to be a bit iffy.

The question is once the Chipset (with proper size downloaded) is installed did the flicker stop.  If yes, you are done and if not there is another issue involved.

2 Posts

September 26th, 2015 23:00

I can sorta confirm this. I disabled c state. Then rebooted and reinstalled the chipset driver. Then went back and disabled C State. It has been about one day since then and I've not noticed the flicker yet. *knocks on wood*

11 Posts

September 27th, 2015 02:00

Same for me ... For now

1 Message

September 27th, 2015 17:00

Yes it does. I got mine a couple of days ago and it's happening all the time. I'm considering taking action against them if it's not sorted without loss of battery duration as it's currently not fit for purpose!

10 Posts

September 29th, 2015 07:00

HI DELL, ANY NEWS FOR US SUFFERING THIS ISSUE?

10 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 05:00

PLEASE KEEP POSTING IN CASE YOU STILL NEED AN ANSWER FOR THIS QUESTION!

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 01:00

On a daily basis I have to face the flickering on waking up from the sleep mode... I read that Dell is working on fixing the matter, however an efficient customer service would at least suggest a timeframe for us users. PLEASE!!

11 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 04:00

Hello

I had the same problem and i resolve like this:

Installed the last intel iris driver

Unistalled  intel chipset driver

Reinstalled chipset driver and when the setup ask to overwrite newer inf files a choose yes

In advance power mngmt i set minimal processor speed from 5 to 10%

Now flicker disappear, now are 2 weeks,before flicker compare 4-5 times per day

16 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 15:00

Thanks Tenkavideo, I already have them installed before and still flickering.  

My C-State setting is always enabled and I just let the flickering died down upon waking up.

I then followed your steps, removed and reinstalled the driver based on your sequence.  So far no flickering yet.  Rebooted, manual sleep, let it sleep on its own. waited, and woke up the computer from sleep.

For those who are not aware, just google the below drivers.

Intel driver - win64_15407.4279.exe

Chipset driver - Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE

I will report back in a few days whether this is the real solution.

16 Posts

tenkavideo, please provide the version numbers and URLs where you downloaded the "last intel iris driver" and "chipset driver" you mentioned.

Thanks.

11 Posts

Intel irispro driver .intel web site

Dell chipset driver last from support xps 9343 page

16 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 21:00

Nope, screen still flickering, this time it happened while I'm already logged in, normally it will flicker upon waking up and during the login prompt, then will die down once logged in.  Now it flickered while i'm already doing something.

If Tenkavideo can post here the versions or screenshot of his/her Device Manager video properties and chipset properties, so we can compare the details.

10 Posts

Thanks, tenkavideo. I guess the main point in your solution is setting up minimal processor speed from 5 to 10%. It looks like a workaround similar to C-State, isn't it ?

10 Posts

Confirmed, screen still flickering

October 5th, 2015 14:00

I have this problem as well. I updated all drivers as recommended. That didn't help.

I did a fresh Windows 10 install and updated all drivers as recommended. That didn't help.

I did a factory reset to Windows 8.1, and problems stopped.

Dell, we were sold this computer as Windows 10 ready. Two months after the public release of Windows 10, the computer is still incompatible with Windows 10.

When will this issue be resolved? Or does Dell not care about making false claims?

No Events found!