Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2009 17:00

XPS 1340 Locking Up + nvstor64 Errors

I picked up a Dell Studio XPS 1340 just under 2 weeks ago and as soon as I got it home, I loaded Windows 7 Professional x64 from MSDN on it. I was able to find all the drivers and it seemed to be running fine.

But lately, I have noticed during simple tasks in programs such as Outlook '07, FireFox, Windows Live Messenger, and a few other programs, that the computer will just lockup for about a minute (where I won't be able to do anything) then it will seem to start working again.

During this time, the HD light is lit up (not blinking) and then once the lockup is over the HD light begins blinking again.

I also have noticed there are times when booting the computer hangs for a good 1-2 minutes on the Starting Windows screen (HD light solid).

In Event Viewer there is quite a few of these errors as well:

Event 129, nvstor64
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued

Help?

April 7th, 2010 14:00

Well, Dell have finally released a new set of Drivers (A04) and an AHCI fix for the the lock up issue. I have now applied both drivers and also latest BIOS (though this is not needed for this lock up issue).

My nVidia SATA driver is now version 11.1.51.3 and all looks good so far. The Bench Test within the driver gives results the same as the old A00 driver, much better than the A02 driver and the laptop has been behaving and rebooting as it should with none of the lockups experienced with the A02 driver. It is however my first day of use so only time will tell.

I will update after a few days of use to say for sure. Fingers crossed though!

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 12:00

I have the same exact issue after upgrading to Win 7 and using the 64 bit drivers. I have been looking for an answer but with no luck.

7 Posts

November 24th, 2009 09:00

Hey Guys!

I have the same problem. 

Using the latest firmware from Nvidia 11.1.0.33. 

Did you find any solutions?

2 Posts

January 13th, 2010 10:00

Anyone find a solution for this?  Its getting ridiculous.

January 21st, 2010 13:00

So far there does not appear to be a proper solution, however, I have a work around.

The NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller driver supplied with the latest Windows Vista/7 drivers are at fault. To stock the lockups and event log erros simply download the older A00 Chipset driver from Dell. The drivers are only available by choosing Vista as the OS. I extracted the files and then point Device Manager to the drivers to downgrade it to version 10.3.0.42 of the SATA driver.

All lockups have now gone, no more error messages and the Laptop now performs better. Even the bechmark within the driver in Device manager reports a four fold increase in throughput compared to the version 11 driver for Windows 7. I have had no drawbacks from using the older driver.

Hopefully Dell/Nvidia will eventually issue an update to the driver that resolves the issue

11 Posts

February 4th, 2010 01:00

@UncleScooby - man! i wish i found this thread 5 days ago!  Event Viewer was logging 180-200 nvstor64, Event ID 129, Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued' errors a day for 6 days in a row and the initial Dell Tech support rep did not believe me.  i had corrupted files, indexes, freezing, etc. and it's my (layman's) belief that these delayed read/writes contributed to the demise of my hard drive. Dell Diagnostics was telling me to punt the hard drive, too, WD's hard drive tool was telling me the same thing so i thought it was my hard drive. 

so prior to reading this fix, i purchased a new hard drive (because Dell refused to send me the 500 GB HD that was installed in my laptop by mistake vs 320 GB on the invoice), i installed it and restored from a good backup only to see the same nvstor64 errors within 30 mins of final configuration. there were much less event entries, but the freezing was really bad. next i spent 2 hours on the phone/online with an understanding and willing Tech support person trying to figure out the problem when this thread popped up during my search.  i rolled back to the Vista 64-Bit, NVida SATA A.00 (10.3.0.42) driver and for the last 4 hours not one nvstor64 error.  gosh, i hope this works!  thanks so much for posting your work around!

February 4th, 2010 04:00

I am glad some one has found it useful, I found the answer in another forum and posted after trying it out. Since I posted I have had no further lockups and am very happy again, hopefully you will experience the same. I have also contacted Dell support as there are clearly a number of us finding the issue and there is no recognition of the problem. Initially after telling them what I had done the answer came back saying keep checking for later drivers with no axcknowledgemtn anything is actually being worked on. I wrote back again explaining that was not good enough and I want to know that the solution is being worked on and that the Knowledge Base should have an entry for the issue. Here is the response:

"Thank you for replying.

I have reviewed your email and based on that we have already forwarded the issue to our product engineering group for a fix to resolve the issue. As of now, we do not give you any stipulated time period as and when the fix will be released. Please be assured, the issue is under investigation and will come up with the resolution as well.

We have already forwarded your feedback to the concern team.

Should you have any concerns please feel free to write in."

And I have a case number to chase if needed. Fingers crossed they don't take too long and come up with a decent fix.

11 Posts

February 6th, 2010 22:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE **UPDATE**... ZERO, 0, ZILCH nvstor64 issues for 3 days on my xps 1340. unbelievable!!! i have to wonder what am i giving up by using an older driver vs the newest version? RAID capabilities? NOT!!! Not one time did support suggest i go back to the stock/original driver. Dear Dell, please list this solution as an option for others with the same challenges. NOTE: had to re-post my response, because a (misspelled) word was mistaken for bad language. Brother... fix that bot will ya!

5 Posts

February 26th, 2010 12:00

Helloooo.....Dell wake up.

How many people must have this problem before you decide to update the drivers?

So does the A00 work?

11 Posts

February 26th, 2010 20:00

Installing A00 put an end to my nvstor64 errors; there are no, zero, ziltch nvstor64 errors in my Admin Event Viewer log since i installed A00. if you're as frustrated as i was, it's worth trying... good luck getting Dell to acknowledge this fix.  it simply will not happen.

5 Posts

February 27th, 2010 12:00

Hmmm....

I had a look at the A00 file, but the IDE drivers in there seem to be 32bit (nvstor32.sys), and I'm running W7 x64.

What I did was to uninstall the driver from device manager(it asked me if I wanted to uninstall the software and I uninstalled that, too) and let windows install its default drivers Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller. Run a windows assesment test and I was getting the same results. I did not go the way to banchmark the HDD speed and performace but looks like I have lost nothing by unistalling the driver. Now to install the x32 driver on my x64 system i dont know. I am a bit reluctant.

DELL can you please stop using nVidia motherboard chipsets. They are good only at graphics and stick with the Intel chipsets (never had a problem with those before).

If anyone finds a better solution to nvstor64, please let us know.

In the mean time, thanks to the contributors and a special thanks to the original solution by UncleScooby

Installing A00 put an end to my nvstor64 errors; there are no, zero, ziltch nvstor64 errors in my Admin Event Viewer log since i installed A00. if you're as frustrated as i was, it's worth trying... good luck getting Dell to acknowledge this fix.  it simply will not happen.

11 Posts

February 27th, 2010 16:00

i don't know the difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. like you i'm using Win 7 64-bit.  to date, i have not had any issues with my laptop; it's working and that's all that matters to me. :emotion-1:

12 Posts

February 28th, 2010 19:00

So is this a problem with the A01 or the A02 file? I have A02 and everything seems to be working fine, although I don't use the laptop for long periods of time, usually shut it down between classes.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2010 08:00

The problem is with A02 or the 64bit chipset driver for the SATA controller nvstor64.sys

It is strange as to why in some systems the same drivers works and in some doesn't because it is exactly at start up that I had most of the errors. Dell never has replied or commended on the issue.

List of drivers can be found in http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/nVidia+MCP79+Chipset+Driver including A00 and A01 but not A02. I don't know the difference between A00 and A01 but they are released to close to each other.

5 Posts

April 9th, 2010 19:00

Thanks for the update.

It was about time.

BTW, I have found that downloading the nVidia graphic drivers from their website increases the performance of the windows index by 1 point.

No Events found!