Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2014 21:00

XPS 14 Ultrabook (L421x) SATA II or SATA III?

Hi,

I purchased this XPS 14 Ultrabook in October 2012 and I just swapped the original HDD with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD but it is being detected as SATA II instead of SATA III.  Is the motherboard on this laptop really not SATA III compatible being that this laptop is a 2012 model?

I tried to look for the motherboard specs online but I could not find the info anywhere.  Does someone know the answer to this or how to fix it?

Thanks!

615 Posts

February 7th, 2014 22:00

Hi Arstocker,

The SATA III spec 6Gb/s was released 3 years prior to the release date of your XPS14. The Spec. Sheet doesn't indicate properly that it''s SATA II or III but I'd bet dollars to donuts if it's sold as SATA III it's supported. If you Right Click on Computer and select manage and then pick Disk Management  you may simply need to initialize the SSD from there. If this screenshot is from your PC with the Drive installed, your computer knows the drive exists, you just have to convince the operating system it's there. If this answer helped please remember to click the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact. 

Here's the link to you XPS14 

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-14-l421x_Reference%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

615 Posts

February 7th, 2014 23:00

Thanks for taking the time to point that out.! That is curious indeed! I'll bring it to one of our contacts employed by Dell. I'll also mention it to the Rockstar team so more people know about this.

5 Posts

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, that screenshot attached is from my laptop after I installed the SSD and the computer recognizes the drive perfectly except Samsung Magician reports that it is not performing at the maximum speed because my laptop does not support SATA III (This can't be accurate).  Like you mentioned, I am also very doubtful that a computer made in 2012 does not support SATA III.

Does anyone here actually works at Dell that would have that information available?

2 Posts

Hi,

After installing bios A16 drives operate at sata II speeds. I downloaded A15 and that fixed the issue.

You simply go to Driver Downloads/Bios chose A16 then click on previous versions and chose A15.

See: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/673546-xps-14-ultrabook-owners-lounge-189.html

The question is: How can we let Dell know about this and fix it!  I already had a chat with a technitioan but no case got opened :D

5 Posts

Yes, that did it!  I just downgraded the BIOS from A16 to A15 and now it is reporting SATA III.  Thank you very much!

Now Dell just needs to fix the latest BIOS update....

5 Posts

Weird indeed!

1 Message

March 19th, 2014 19:00

How's the progress going? It's now April 10, 2014 and it would be nice for Dell to release a new Bios update to fix the Sata III problem that exists with Bios 16.

August 7th, 2014 18:00

Is there truly no update on this problem??? Please advise! :)

October 3rd, 2014 20:00

Still nothing?

October 5th, 2015 19:00

Although suggesting a downgrade to a previous BIOS is a temporary fix to enable SATA3, it is not a solution to this problem.

October 5th, 2015 19:00

Is Dell no longer going to support this laptop? It's been almost two years since the release of this faulty BIOS update and no solution has been provided.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2015 03:00

Do you really expect more from Dell?  I did,  once....

I even called them, talked to support, insisted on raising a case, ticket number.... This is how far we got in 2 years... NOTHING.  v16 of fw says: speed improvements...  from 6gb/s to 3gb/s .. the DELL way.

There is an old saying: trick me one shame on you, trick me twice shame on me...

Since than I never buy/recomend Dell.

October 12th, 2016 10:00

I have the same problem. Is there other solution instead of downgrade the bios?

No Events found!