Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2012 14:00

XPS 14 Ultrabook --- Windows 8 upgrade w/OUT optical drive??

How would we install the Windows 8 upgrade on the XPS 14 Ultrabook since it is not equipped with an optical drive? 

thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 25th, 2012 16:00

Likely Windows 8 would be provided as a download link in .iso format. The release preview is in .iso format for example and can be converted to a bootable USB using the Microsoft .iso to DVD/USB program (see here).

If you get only a DVD you can copy the contents to a USB using NovaCorp WinToFlash. This program will make the flash drive bootable. I have wrote a link here regarding this with Windows 7: Windows 7 Convert your Reinstallation DVD into a USB. Alternatively retail Media is downloadable from Digital River here which can be used directly with upgrade/full retail keys (it can also be used with OEM keys and phone activation). Once you have the USB flash drive you can install it by following my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7. I am not sure how Microsoft will be selling Windows 8 but the procedures of installing Windows 8 from USB should be very similar.

934 Posts

You would need a Win8 ISO-file and Microsoft's  "USB/DVD download tool"

The  USB/DVD download tool lets you create a bootable USB stick

windows.microsoft.com/.../download

===============================

Don't forget - always have a backup of your OS available - once you have installed Win8 you will loose Dell's system recovery options....

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

As MicroTest mentioned, you should have a backup of a few things from your Windows 7 installation see here (Dell DataSafe Factory Settings USB) or alternatively here (A Clean Install of Windows 7 Using Retail Media/Reinstallation DVD). Then you may try out the Windows 8 consumer preview if you wish.

7 Posts

September 25th, 2012 17:00

Hey guys, appreciate the response.  USB drive, of course!

1 Message

September 28th, 2012 07:00

I've used a Windows 7 USB/DVD tool to make a back up of the windows 8 preview version on a USB stick with 15 GB of free space.
After I ran the Windows 8 set up and everything loaded my computer restarted but when it turns back on It only tells me Windows 8 instillation failed. 
I've done this multiple times and it always end the same way.
Any ideas of what to try next? 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 28th, 2012 11:00

Are you trying the 32 bit or the 64 bit version? Are you performing A Clean Install or Upgrade?

No Events found!